Purchasing 6.0, higher miles - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Purchasing 6.0, higher miles

Hey everybody, if this is in the wrong section I apologize. I’m looking at a 2007 F250 6.0L King Ranch CCSB. It has 239k miles and has APR head studs, Sinister EGR delete, and Sinister oil filtration. There is a diesel performance shop near where The truck is located so I put in a call for a pre-purchase inspection and waiting and hoping they can fit me in, but thought it couldn’t hurt to get some words of wisdom from you all. Thank you all for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Correction Sinister COOLANT filtration system
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:07 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Purchasing 6.0, higher miles

Welcome to the forum!

A couple things...

1. Be sure you get to hear it start up cold. That can give you an indication of the health of the injectors and ficm. look up '6.0 injector stiction' for more info.

2. Related to the ficm, you'll want to have a monitor of some kind to watch the engine parms if it doesn't run well or takes a while to start. low ficm main power voltage is one to watch out for. that could mean a slew of issues. something else for you to read up on.

3. spend an extra few minutes under the hood verifying that ALL of the headstuds were replaced. sometimes, you'll come across a 6.0 with only the front visible studs replaced but the ones down the line aren't (crooked mechanics). google for locations of the other headbolts if you have some more time.

4. See if you can get maintenance records on it. I managed to get hard copies of service records from a ford dealership when i bought mine, and it was priceless. still is lol

5. Figure out what kind of fluids it has in it. i'm specifically wondering about the coolant, is it a quality "ELC" CAT-1 rated coolant? if it is, then that's excellent. Also, if it's been run with a synthetic oil that could be good news on the injectors. i think oil change intervals is more important for the injectors, but still, would be good to know.

6. does it have a custom ecm or ficm tune loaded? if it's got an ecm tune, then you need the handhelp programmer that was used to load it. I assume it does if the EGR is deleted. for the ficm, just depends, you might not ever need to swap ficm tunes. BUT it would be good to know if it has something besides stock.

any questions, just ask! not that i know the answer lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:15 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Purchasing 6.0, higher miles

oh oh,

7. Ask about any of the following preventative maint items:
FPR
Standpipes and dummy plugs
STC fitting

8. you'll want to know the age of the injectors. AND if they are stock sized. a lot of people go larger when they bulletproof one with headstuds. make a difference with exhaust temps if you'll be towing

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in