Hydrolocked after injector change. Help!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hydrolocked after injector change. Help!!

So this weekend I changed my injectors in my 6.0 powerstroke. I unfortunately do not have the luxury of a two-point lift so I had to do it with the body on. It's not a hard job I've done it plenty of times and I'd say I'm pretty experienced in the job. I changed them out made sure all of the new injectors had new seals on them o'rings that copper seal by the injector tip make sure the injector cups were good and not cracked and installed them like anybody else would. Used the correct torque on everything, blah blah blah. I started up the truck and it sounded really good. I let the truck idle for about 10 to 15 minutes until the coolant and oil temp were at about 140 degrees and 145 degrees. I went out on a drive and I wasn't even out on the road for more than 30 seconds before I was in 4th gear, and I noticed that the truck was not shifting into 5th when it should have. I let off the gas, and noticed that it shifted into v and I heard a very loud ticking coming from the passenger side. before I knew it I had lost pretty much all power, and I was white smoking like a freight train. The truck shut off by itself, and it had a no crank no start. I had heard of the horror stories of trucks hydrolocking after injector change so I towed it back home and started to remove the glow plugs. I saw that it wasn't coolant because the exhaust manifolds were bone dry so I knew I had to be fuel-related. I unplug the fuel pump and took the starter wire and touched it to the battery. Fuel came bursting out of cylinder one but cylinder 3 5 and 7 were okay. I got to wear all of the fuel is out and then started disassembly again. I removed injector one to find that the bottom O ring I think it is white was torn in two and the copper washer on the end of the injector nozzle was gone. I remove the o-ring from the cylinder head and the copper washer from the cylinder head. luckily I had a spare injector that was brand new to put in its place so I put it in put it back together and started it up. Now this time was a little bit different. Before, it sounded very smooth and a lot quieter. Now it said it sounded like it 7.3 and I hear a very faint ticking coming from what it sounds like cylinder one. I've read that you can bend a rod after hydrolocking but it is not very common. The truck runs, but not the best. I haven't taken it out for a drive yet because I'm too scared that it'll blow up again. I don't know what I should do, if I should take it to a shop and have them evaluate it, or just get a whole new valve train. I doubt I'll need a whole new valve train, but it sure would be nice to have. But it could also be a rocker arm tick or a lifter tick. it's very hard to describe the noise because the motor is already noisy to begin with, so I'm not sure where to go. I don't know if I should tear it all back down again, or just leave it be and drive it for a little bit. I've also noticed that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to start up every time after changing out the injectors. It's almost like it's not holding oil pressure, but I'm not really sure because I've never had this problem. last time I tried to change out my injectors I had an issue changing out number seven. so I just put the old ones back in, and had no problem with it starting up again. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:28 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: Hydrolocked after injector change. Help!!

That injector you put in #1 might be bad. That may be a misfire you're hearing. A contribution test would tell you. It will take a bit of driving to get all the air out of the oil rails. Thats why it takes a little longer to start.

I would advise taking it to a shop that knows powerstrokes.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 5.8L XLT Tan leather interior. Soon to be swapped onto a 6.0 frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Master BS'er

Re: Hydrolocked after injector change. Help!!

Take the valve cover off and have a look. If it's bent, the rocker will have more play than the others. Probably gonna have to spin the engine over by hand until a few of them are loose to check for it. A stethoscope with a medal rod wouldn't be a bad idea.

Hydrolock can damage more than just a push rod. It could damage pistons, valves, connecting rods, heads, rockers etc. Take a look and see what ya got.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode