Looking to rebuild & upgrade 6.0 Turbo - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Looking to rebuild & upgrade 6.0 Turbo

I just purchased a used 6.0 turbo same Garrett part number 1832255C91 as the one on my 2006 6.0 F350 XLT Lariat SRW 4x4. I'm looking to rebuild the turbo with upgraded parts. I tow a 33' travel trailer a couple times a month during camping season. My question is what exactly do I need to purchase to get more power that will help pull, and also give me more power when not pulling. All suggestions ok are welcome, thank you!!

06' 6.0 4" Exhaust, EDGE Insight CTS2, SCT X3, Saber 50W LED Headlights, Optima Yellow Top Batteries, Sinister Diesel Bypass Coolant, and Oil Filtration, & Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ Blue Spring Kit,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Looking to rebuild & upgrade 6.0 Turbo

I would get the 10 blade turbine from kc, as well as a compressor wheel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 PM
PSN Local

I have a 2003 6.0 which already has the 10 blade compressor, so i bought the '6.0 KC TURBO DIY UPGRADE KIT' form KC Turbos.

Im not running bigger injectors, or any performance mods. So i went with the 61mm turbine, and the 360 degree rebuild kit. Cost about 560$... but cheaper than a new turbo and mine only had 59k miles on it.

I worry that a turbo price can rack right up to buying a new one. Shoot 1500$ for a drop and go unit OR they wanted 800$ just to clean and reassemble mine IF there were zero issues. You could need a new unison ring, VGT Solenoid, shaft could be bad, then if you want a 10 blade, plus a bigger turbine, balance the new combo.... the list can go on and on.

So I saved money by having the 10 blade, but still have to have it balanced. If yours is high mileage it might need more love...

Just things to consider....

You could do: drop it in and go, and up to 155 injectors for later! $1490
https://kcturbos.com/collections/6-0...nt=44700426702

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:35 PM
PSN Local

What did you decide Brian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Excursion EB 6.0 PSD: BPD Oil Cooler, Water Pump, 7.3 fan adapter: Adrenaline Stock HPOP: APR Head Studs (One at a time): KC Turbo Billet Compressor: EGR Delete: Sinister Coolant Filter & Regulated Fuel Return: '08+ Oil Pan/Filter: SCT LiveWire TS+
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:08 AM
PSN Local

What kind of benefits would you see from just upgrading the turbine wheel......or just upgrading the compressor wheel? Compared to doing both?

Do you see any benefits from just doing one or the other....instead of both?

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:17 PM
PSN Local

Well the turbine wheel on the later 6.0's has a has a 13 blade design. I think it was supposed to be more efficient on the top end, correct me if im wrong. The earlier units had a 10 blade design which apparently had better low end and that nice whistle some of us love so much. The 10 blade was capable of spinning a larger compressor than what was installed. So with that, you get more flow on the compressor side just by changing out the compressor wheel.

Since my truck is stock for the most part i chose to go with a an upgraded 11 single plane compressor wheel. Apparently it is supposed to perform better than the dual plane design of the factory unit.

Again this is for my 2003 Excursion 6.0
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 PM
PSN Local

Additional note: Just had my turbo balanced for $44 at a local company Blaylock Turbo, going to pick it up tomorrow.

2003 Excursion EB 6.0 PSD: BPD Oil Cooler, Water Pump, 7.3 fan adapter: Adrenaline Stock HPOP: APR Head Studs (One at a time): KC Turbo Billet Compressor: EGR Delete: Sinister Coolant Filter & Regulated Fuel Return: '08+ Oil Pan/Filter: SCT LiveWire TS+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode