6.0 pushrod swap - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

6.0 pushrod swap

Hey i just got done studding my block, the one at a time way.... 2003 Excursion 6.0 59k miles!

I just saw a thread about the only pushrods you can get now are the 6.4 shorter versions. Read that the shorter ones help compensate for thermal expansion.

IS THIS SOMETHING I SHOULD HAVE SWAPPED OUT???? Ive not heard anything about this in all my research. I just put the valve covers back on, i will take them off and do this if its really a thing that should be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:35 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: 6.0 pushrod swap

you put in headstuds one at a time? did you do this cab off? those back ones are a real bugger with the cab on!!!
well, anyway, about the pushrods, most people don't mess with it unless you pull the heads off, by you dodn't do that, so...and that's a whole other heated debate lol!
anyway, when pulling the heads, its pretty much mandatory to check them for flatness and they almost always they need to have a little bit shaved off. and that's why those shorter pushrods are so important, because the rockers and valves are now closer after getting machined down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Cab was on and you know what it wasnt that bad at all.

Pull the AC, let be honest not that much work and cost is minimal if you go to a place that will record it and put it back in. Then pull the box, 6 screw behind the dash and some stuff on the fender well. You can then get to everything on the passenger side with ZERO hassle. As for the driver all can be gotten too if you just put a jack under the transmission and pump it up a little, don't even have to lossen anything! I didnt pull the fender well, unbolt the trans or engine.

OK i wasnt sure on the pushrods. I saw alot of people mentioning it when the heads were checked. However, i saw someone said that the factory 6.0 pushrods are too long from the factory. I thought shoot im this far into it ill swap them if its something that will help longevity.

If you have any questions on what ive done please ask!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:11 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

good grief i didn't think there was room to pull old headbolt and install new studs in the back without punching a dent in the firewall and other craziness lol

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I had heard that also, and maybe on the truck that is the case??? But on a 2003 Excursion you do not.

Like i said just put a jack under the tansfercase and just give it a little lift until you can get the bolt out. Then you may have to jack it a couple more times to slid the new stud in (cause its longer) BUT it can be done.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:25 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
good grief i didn't think there was room to pull old headbolt and install new studs in the back without punching a dent in the firewall and other craziness lol
On my F250 when I did the heads/studs.....it was super tight on the drivers side, even after taking the motor mount off and lowering the motor down on the frame. Those excursions must be built a little different.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode