Battery charger thoughts - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Battery charger thoughts

Hi everyone, Its been a while. I don't drive my truck very much in the winter sometimes two weeks or more and was thinking of installing a marine battery charger/ maintainer like I have on my bass boat. My question is do I need a one bank or two bank charger, I'm thinking the one bank should charge them both and would combine it with my block heater on my timer. I live in northern Ohio so it gets pretty cold and after it sits for a while it can be a sruggle starting just want everything happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Battery charger thoughts

I don't drive my truck very much more either. I have a single battery tender that will take care of both batteries.

If you get one you might want to have it seperate from the block heater since you can have the battery tender connected and running all the time that your truck is sitting where you don't want the block heater running that long.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:59 PM
alleged moderator

i use a Schumacher full automatic battery maintainer on my diesels.

it is plugged into a 4 outlet power strip behind the grill, that is plugged into an extension cord.
if i know i will be using the truck early in the early am to go plowing, i will plug the block heater in the night before going to bed.
my diesels will sit 4-5 months in the summer and i never have any issues with dead or low batteries.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:23 AM
Native Texan

Garage

I have a schumacher maintainer I use when I need to. I had my truck sit since Christmas day at my sisters and I went out on saturday and she fired right up. I was happy as It was not plugged in the whole time and I figured I would have to jump it. I would do a maintainer with a separate plug as they are designed keep the batteries up and u only need the block heater when its really cold out and u want it warm in the morning. I guess if u got a charger and hooked it up it might be able to recharge the batteries in the time ur timer is on but if ur batteries get to low they will freeze and ruin them better to use a maintainer to keep them up all the time.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks everyone, so the real question is will a single bank be ok ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:55 AM
PSN Veteran

Mine works fine on a single. I just hardwired it to the positive battery cable and it takes care of both batteries. It usually takes quite a while to charge both batteries up to where the charger is just putting a trickle into them but once that happens I have left my truck a few weeks without starting it up and the batteries crank it over like they were new.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Master BS'er

When you hook two batteries together they effectively become one battery with either double the voltage, or double the capacity, depending how you connect them. So you don't really have two banks, you have one bank with double the cells. Make sense?

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode