PSN Newb

Re: Oil bypass

Was thinking more diy and not 500 dollars

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:06 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Listen buddy, if you want good stuff, and believe me you want good stuff, you gotta pay for it.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So do you know of someone who has built one or not lol

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:48 AM
PSN Veteran

The junkie is sayin if you want quality, buy a overpriced kit. (What can you expect? Junkies always want primo lol)
Joking aside, search around for DIY bypass setups. I've seen a few threads, just cant quite recall where.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 07:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

I built my own. I used an Amsoil EaBP110 filter with an Amsoil BMK-21 filter base. The difficult part was figuring out where to put the filter and how to tap into a supply source. There's just not much room in that engine compartment. I wound up mounting it in front of the driver's side wheel well, up behind the bumper. Tight fit, but it worked. Your location is up to your imagination. Just remember to protect it from road debris and road salt, etc.

Next is the oil source. I chose to tap into the pressure test port on the front of the oil cooler. This was rather difficult and I don't think was the easiest/best choice. It may have been best for flow, but I think you could install a Tee into the oil pressure sensor port, put the sensor in one side and tap off the other side instead. If you do choose to use the pressure test port, I think it's a M10 1.5 pitch thread. It's been a few years, so don't quote me. What I did was I removed the fan and fan shroud for easy access to the front of the oil cooler, then I removed the test port QD fitting. I brought that fitting and the oil filter base to the local parts store and had them build me a hose with the appropriate fittings for each side. This was definitely overkill, since it's a 3,000 PSI hose, but since there's the possibility of around 80 PSI going to this filter, I didn't want to trust hose clamps and barbed fittings.

For the return side, I did trust the barbed fittings because it's not under any real pressure. I think I used 1/4" return line and I tapped into the oil filler tube. I removed the tube, drilled a hole, and tapped the hole for a 1/8" (I think) NPT to 1/4" barb elbow. I sealed it using black RTV. If you go this route, don't trust the factory o-ring at the bottom of the filler tube. With that much oil pouring past it constantly, it'll leak. I wound up using black RTV above and below it. If I had to do this again, and I had the time, I would remove the valve cover, drill a hole, and install a return fitting through the sheet metal.....using a lock-nut and the heavy duty loctite. lol

I think altogether this cost me about $150. I extend my oil changes out to 20,000 with oil analysis. Could probably go even further, but I change it when I do due to fuel dilution (lots of idle time in the winter). There are easier setups, but you pay a lot more for them. That's the trade-off....pay more so it will be easy to install. If you choose my route, hopefully my experience will make your install at least a little easier than mine was. Oh, also, you may want to consider filling the bypass filter before screwing it onto the mount. You don't have to, but you won't have to worry about running your oil level low due to filling it with crankcase oil either.

Good luck!

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ya I've searched a few didnt really give me much of a idea were to get the parts I like quality but also something like this can easily be made lol I'm just tryna see what filter based and fitting have worked well for others and wat size restriction they use stuff like that thanks for the insight fellas

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quick question I've seen some video were they use a restrictor on the return line can you use the same restriction for each filter or do the change

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Administrator

i have seen some threads on what parts to buy from Amsoil to build a decent kit for way less than their retail 6.o kits

i have the FS2500 and think it is an overhyped POS but at least i have the input and output fittings and lines i can use when i go with the amsoil
msnow403 likes this.

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode