Vgt - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Weatherlite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Vgt

What happens when you unplug the vgt I have a 06 6.0 6spd and I get tired of it shutting on and off and I know unplugging it makes a stupid smoke switch witch I don't care about I'm jw if leaving it unplugged will damage or hurt anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Vgt

It all depends on where the vanes are when you unplug it. Read up on how it functions and you will understand how it can be a poor idea or a very bad idea. I can't really think of a time it would be good. Anyway....if you disconnect it when the vanes are letting a majority of the exhaust bypass the turbine, then you will get your normal boost when the engine is revving high, but you won't have squat for power down low. If you disconnect it when most of the exhaust is flowing through the turbine, you will get great boost down low, but you will get an overboost condition up high. There is potentially a sweet spot somewhere in the middle which might give you some power down low, while not overboosting you up top, but why sit and play with it over and over? It's designed as variable for a reason....to give you the best boost possible at any given throttle/RPM/load situation. Are there better turbos which are not VGT? Sure, but they're typically installed when someone has a lot of work done to the engine and need more boost/flow than the stock turbo can handle. Also, your turbo is not shutting on and off. It is sweeping the vanes back and forth, kind of like a windshield wiper, in an effort to clear off the soot and prevent the vanes from getting stuck. A normal preventive maintenance built into the programming. A feature which can, and has been in some cases, be removed with a custom tune if it really bothers you that much. You will get rid of the up and down whine at idle while retaining the benefits of the VGT.
79jasper likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Pretty well said.
If the vgt is bothering you that much, maybe you shouldn't own a diesel with one. Lol
Or... yours needs a good cleaning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:05 AM
Master BS'er

The exhaust actually doesn't bypasses the turbine in a vgt type turbo. It just gives the exhaust a little boost of speed for quicker response. The vgt solenoid changes the speed of the exhaust striking the turbine by changing the angle of the Vanes. Vanes closed increases the speed, but the volume is low. Vanes open is just the opposite.

I would assume it defaults to one side if it unplugs since it is a duty cycle type solenoid, but that's just a guess. Still don't see how it would be desirable to unplug it. It would be a dog.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:19 AM
PSN Veteran

It will default to the open position. Which is exactly how the "smoke switch" works........

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Master BS'er

What's a smoke switch?

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
What's a smoke switch?
I see you saw the other thread.
Basically just cuts the power to the vgt solenoid, letting it "open" the veins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode