Not the normal hpop question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Not the normal hpop question

Sorry for the long post - 2006 F250 6.0 175K miles
So my truck just randomly stopped starting when it gets up to operating temp around October. It coincided with what i thought to be a bad glow plug as per what the CEL code told me. So I changed the plugs and wires and went on my merry way. However, it continued to not start when warm. Doing a lot of research I had come to the conclusion that I had a bad HPOP. So i proceeded to buy a used one from a Junkyard (bad Idea).

I got it and took a few hours to put it in. Once it was in and back together I could not get it started at all for anything. I spent a few days trying to get it started to no avail, So then I went back in and changed the STC and the IPR with brand new ones. Still would not start at all. So I figured I had gotten a bad HPOP. Being super frustrated, I put the old HPOP back in and it fired right up and continued to do the same thing that it had been doing.

So I played the game of letting it run when I went places unless i knew I would be there longer than it would take for the truck to cool down. Once the oil temp got back to cool, it would fire right back up no problem. I did this until I could afford a NEW HPOP.

Once I pout the old one back in, i got a few CEL codes. All of them led to one thing or so the paper I got from autozone told me "replace HPOP". Once I had that and I had done all my research I concluded that it indeed was the HPOP. So I swallowed what was left of my pride and dropped the 415 on a "new" HPOP. I put it in quotes because the description said new and the box said new. It looked new, but I guess it could be a reman.

Anyway, some time passed and it comes to today. I took the old HPOP back out and put the new one in, The new one came with an STC so that went in too. Put it all back together and it fired right up after 2 10 second cranking times. I let it idle to warm up to operating temp and shut it off. Fired right back up no problem. Did this 5 times within 30 mins. all fired up no issues (well one slight issue, but it fired up everytime. Ill explain the issue a bit further down..

I took it out for a drive and thats when I kind of understood a bit what the issue is. (Air leak - Again further down) I wanted to get a load on the engine and drive it a bit before I tried to start it again. Got home after about 10 mins. Shut it off and now it wont restart again. It seemed like it tried to turn over twice but now nothing. Just cranks and cranks.

Now for the issue that I noticed. It is leaking air big time which i am assuming that it is the turbo up or down pipe doesn't have a good seal. I think this is what it is because when I step on the throttle, not only does the air sound louder but the turbo builds little boost unless I floor it for it to overcome the leak. I have to check again to make sure I tightened the clamps down.

This is what I have done so far
1. Cleaned off all the surfaces with brake clean
2. Replaced all the gaskets
3. The screen on the IPR looked good
4. I have unplugged the IPC to see if that changed anything and it didn't

I know the injectors are good because it runs perfect

2 questions,

1. Do you think the air leak is causing it to not start? ( i don't think so but idk either)
2. If it were you, what would you do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Not the normal hpop question

Im not sure how to edit.

I went back out right after this post and it was still close to operating temp.

After a loooooongg crank it fired up - but now the CEL is on. I will be going to get that checked tonight still
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:30 AM
PSN Veteran

But you never actually replaced the ipr?
You need torque, or some way to watch live data.
And "I know the injectors are good because it runs perfect." I thought mine were too, until my hpop blew the end cover, which led to a rough idle and low icp. But... a buzz test and cct showed multiple bad injectors. Several wouldn't even buzz.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

[QUOTE=79jasper;6147763]But you never actually replaced the ipr?

Yes it was replaced with a new one about 1 month ago. When I took it out I inspected it and everything was kosher.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:17 AM
BKB
PSN Local

So many places for leaks. Standpipes, dummy plugs, oil rail nipple seals, injector top seals, branch tube, STC. I think you are tunnel visioned on the HPOP when it can be any of these things. By the leak test tool on Amazon for $8 and supply shop air next time it wont start and listen for air leaks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode