My new LED headlight bulbs are flickering...why? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Exclamation My new LED headlight bulbs are flickering...why?

I finally got sick and tired of the crummy headlights on my 05' F250 and decided to upgrade the bulbs to some LED's. I did some research, and found some on Amazon that had great reviews, and looked pretty good. I think they were around $70...so not cheap.

I put them in tonight, turned them on...and WOW, they were awesome! They put out so much more light, it was great! So then I fired up the truck and took it for a drive....so much better than before! But then I get home, and after I turned the lights off, I left the truck idling (was hooking up a trailer to move it around)....and I noticed that when the lights were turned OFF....I could see them blinking/flickering a little bit. I turned them back on....and I noticed that even when they were on, they were flickering just slightly. I turned them on and off a couple of times, and sometimes I could get them to turn on and not flicker...and other times they would. Even wit the truck not running, sometimes both flickers when the lights are on, sometimes just one flickers. Very random.

Did I just get a bad set of LED lights? I saw some "anti-flicker" harshness on amazon....would those fix the problem? Or should I just returns them?

Any help would be great! Thanks!!!!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:45 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: My new LED headlight bulbs are flickering...why?

I dunno, but I know $70 is on the cheaper side for aftermarket lights. At least what I have seen, I suppose.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Maybe I will just return them and try a different brand of them? Do they make any standard halogen type bulbs that are any brighter then the OEM bulbs?

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 PM
PSN Newb

Garage

I had some cheap ones from flee bay that did kinda the same thing. With the truck off they worked fine, once I started the truck they would blink on and off, tried resistors, anti flicker caps, even hooking up directly to the battery with a relay, nothing helped. I ended up sending them back and buying a different set, haven't had any issues in months.

XLT CCSB, 4x4, 3" Downpipe, 4" Exhaust (with CAT delete), 140V IDM Mod, TS6 Position Chip, K&N, Transmission built by State to state transmission in AZ
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Instead of rolling the dice on another set of LED headlight bulbs that may, or may not work correctly.......what about a brighter set of Halogen bulbs? Something like these Sylvania XZE bulbs? Would they be close to the same light output as the LED bulbs? Or are LED's much brighter?

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Most LEDs aren't really brighter.
Somewhat of a optical illusion, if you will.
I've ran the xtravision before. Brighter than stock. Decent life.
Silver stars, never ran them myself, but seem to burn out quickly. And I don't like the blue look.
Ran the ultra in our Jetta, iirc. They were decent as well.
No experience with the zxe, but I wouldn't he afraid to try them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

***UPDATE***

Well, I got the new Beamtech LED bulbs in yesterday. They work great!!! No flicker at all, they world like they are supposed to. I didnít need any type of anti-flicker harnessÖ.just plugged them right into the oem bulb plug.

They have a great pattern, are MUCH brighter than the standard halogen bulbs that were in there, and the high-beams work great! Iím very happy with themÖ..I would recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade the lighting on their Superdutys. Itís a night and day different compared to the bulbs that were in there.

And they were only $38 a set off of Amazon.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:36 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

this one?
h13/9008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yep, those are the exact ones I installed.
Turd-250 likes this.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:04 AM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

I'm getting some!!!

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode