Twin Turbo 6.0 Parellel System - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Twin Turbo 6.0 Parellel System

I have been thinking about the V8 configuaration of the Powerstroke engines and been thinking to myself why a twin parellel system wouldn't work. Everyone keeps putting their efforts into a compound system which I think is restrictive and has limits. I did some measuring underneath my truck, and, there is a lot of room to mount a single turbo to each bank. [I] think the most difficult part would be to split the intake manifolds and build custom plenums for uniform air volume distribution between cylinders. And building two smaller intercoolers. The fuel system could remain HUEI and intact. The stock production exhaust manifolds could be specially modified to accept the turbo's or new ones could be manufactured. Other details would be hashed out. Has anyone read up on Banks Power Duramax that has a similiar set-up? I really think that V8 engines, if they are going to have 2 turbos should be run in series and not compunded. This is the key to making the most efficient power possible from the Powerstroke. The 6.0 liters intake manifold makes me want to puke when I look at it. There is no way on God's green Earth that each cylnder air fill rate is balanced. And It is very restrictive in design. I am going to think more about this a draft up a design on paper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99
Re: Twin Turbo 6.0 Parellel System

well it has been discussed for the 7.3 and I think the concensus is.....well I guess you can just read it: https://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5453
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airflo71 View Post
Everyone keeps putting their efforts into a compound system which I think is restrictive and has limits.
What's the limit, and why would they be restrictive?

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99

from what I gathered in that other thread is that the "1 per bank" system was actually more limited and restrictive not the compound setup.... but what the hell do I know!
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Donkey pumper

Send a message via AIM to HeeHaw

lets put it this way there is only one truck with paralell turbos the banks truck, there are a bazillion dodges, a few fords and a few chevys with compounds. the results speek for themselves on wich are better

1964 706 IH with a 05 Cummins motor Smartyfied.

"I'm spitting in your face cause I'm a dominating you!" -Hank 3
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Restritive is pulling air through 2 comp wheels, pushing entire exhaust stream through 2 turbine houses, pressurizing pressurized air then pressurizing it for a third time in the combustion chamber, it adds up to alot of unessery heat. Heat that is wasted, not utilized by the engine. The offset on a compund, is you have to use unessarily high boost pressures to obtain desired results, how many compunds trucks are out there only pushing 35 lbs of boost and making close to a 1000 HP? PSI for PSI a paralell system will make more power at lower boost pressures versus a compound system because of laws concerning thermodynamics. That's all. Boost pressure isn't consistant with potential horsepower output. Overall oxygen density per volume is. When density is maximized so will efficiency of the system, that is why paralell systems run well. They utilize symettrical components to achieve a more balanced power output. Why do you think all those 10 second trucks can't burn all that fuel even with 100 PSI of boost. At that level, the oxygen density of the charge is minimal. The hydrcarbons atoms can't burn completely with enough oxygen to create usable heat to push the piston down. If a system was balanced it would burn all hydrocarbons and release it as a gas, not a solid(soot and ash). It's not like I though about this overnight, we have been turbocharging since 1971. I even conversate with people how single systems have more potential than compounds but then there are those who think 2 are better than one. I forcast in the future that parellel systems will start becoming more popluar as we continue to push diesels further.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:20 AM
PSN Veteran

Don't use gasser technology for your diesel.

If you think your idea is better, then do it!

On Edit: I will NEVER go back to a single on my 95. A big single to compare to my compounds would create more lag then I would ever desire. NO thanks.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 PM
PSN Newb

For these race only trucks would a two intercoolers be a way of dropping the air charge temp going between the two turbos in a compound set up?
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Believe it or not gasser technology works in modern day diesel engines. THeir is an ideal air/fuel ratio that should be maintained to gain optimal performance. With the mechanical pump crowd, yes, this may not work expotentially because of the inability to fine tune the fuel. I am not trying to argue with anyone here, I am just trying to ask for and give information. If you have compounds on your truck, that is great, your truck will probably kick my trucks butt in a quartemile, or tractor pull. I rember the firts compound system we had for a customer in 1996 on a Dodge truck. It smoked like hell, turbo lag was enormous(HT3B & Tiny S300) , and the turbo's were mismatched but that darn thing was sure quick and fun!!!SO I don't want to argue with anyone over which design is superior, like I said all I want to do is learn from others and maybe give information based off my experience. So don't take me the wrong way if I voice my opinion, I just like to get people to think, because when you are thinking, that is when some of the best ideas/inventions are born. And I will start work on a paralell system for my 6.0 now that Iv'e been charged to do it by Terminator Engineering. I will post pics as progress is made. THanks
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joush View Post
For these race only trucks would a two intercoolers be a way of dropping the air charge temp going between the two turbos in a compound set up?
I have seen people use an intercooler between 2 turbo's in compound formation. I had no way to log the data to see if it was beneficial, but theoretically itmay have kept the air charge denser going to the engine. I would say more people just use nitrous because it doen't require a lot to set this up and we all know it works....But for fuel only guys I could see some experimentation here in the future with this idea...It is worth a try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode