losing coolant with custom tunes but not the edge???? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

losing coolant with custom tunes but not the edge????

I bought Erics Xtreme Race tune the other day, its a great tune but im caught between a rock and a hard spot, i ran erics tune for one day and it started pushing coolant out of the degas bottle, thinking i had a blown head gasket i did a pressure test on my coolant system and it held at 16 psi, so i put my edge back in filled up the bottle to the line and took it for a test run and didnt loose a drop. could i have a small leak in the head gasket and the custom tune works the engine hard enough to push coolant but the edge doesnt?

2005 F-350 Dually
6.0 liter Powestroke
SCT X3 programmer with IDP extreme race tune
ARB Headstuds, Black Onyx Head Gaskets
Regulated Return Fuel System
Full replacement Front Bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 AM
PSN Newb

Re: losing coolant with custom tunes but not the edge????

it could be many things if your holding pressure, then its most likley the egr cooler your exhaust is getting to hot and flash boiling coolant. The reason your edge tunes dont do it is that they are very safe they stay within factory spec for cylinder pressures, and operating temps.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 AM
PSN Local

The stock head bolts are weak and stretch when subjected to high cylinder pressure. When they stretch they don't return to factory specs (which suck anyway) and loose clamping force. Therefore, they cannot hold high cylinder pressure and that pressure will lift the head enough to allow cylinder pressure to bypass the gasket and get into the coolant system and pressurizes the coolant system. This pressure in your coolant system is causing your puking. And it just so happens that the custom tunes are creating more cylinder pressure than the edge.

When mine went bad, the truck ran great stock, or mild tunes. But my good sct tunes would make it puke everytime. I did studs and now it holds no problem.

Get rid of the edge, they are junk with these tranny's.

Just my 2 cents

2004 F-250 Lariat X-Cab LB
  • Arp Head Studs w/Black Onyx Gaskets
  • MBRP 4" Turbo Back
  • SCT with tunes from ID and Gearhead
  • Oil and Coolant Bypass Filters
  • Fuel Pressure, HPOP Pressure, Boost and EGT on the A-Pillar
  • Edge Insight Monitors EOT, ECT, Tranny Temp
  • Anti Hi-Jack Device by Glock 9mm!
  • And tons more modded

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM
PSN Newb

what is with people dogging edge, yes the caused tranny problems with the juice because people would tune on the fly and not let the tranny learn it was mostly operater error, they didnt follow the instructions. Edge is very safe cylinder pressures and temps stay within factory spec., and the evo has trans tuning simialr to SCT. and Bill at php can write you high horser power tunes that keep factory pressures the sct can give you like 50 more hp, but is it worth blowing gaskets?????
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
diesel and nothing else

Send a message via Yahoo to amarillo250

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRyan View Post
what is with people dogging edge, yes the caused tranny problems with the juice because people would tune on the fly and not let the tranny learn it was mostly operater error, they didnt follow the instructions. Edge is very safe cylinder pressures and temps stay within factory spec., and the evo has trans tuning simialr to SCT. and Bill at php can write you high horser power tunes that keep factory pressures the sct can give you like 50 more hp, but is it worth blowing gaskets?????
can you sent me a pm for those tunes for the edge and the upgrades for it maybe???

06 F250 CCSB, still working on it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to FCDP and all the guys on here for their help.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:41 PM
PSN Local

Could be oil cooler clogged or EGR cooler

2005 6.0 CC SB 4x4
Special thanks to Doug at GoGoDiesel
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM
PSN Veteran

Possable, but try letting it puke its way down to where it wants to be, then dont refill it. If mine is overfilled, it will puke its way to where it wants... then it will probably stop. which is usuially an inch or two below the min. line. Eric probably wrote your tune for a non studded truck and kept it within factory spec. if you let him know you dont have studs.

2006 F250 CCSB

thanks to FCDP and Innovative Diesel
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRyan View Post
Interestingly enough the adaptive transmission never stops learning. No module is going to alter the shift tables inside the processor.

The EVO runs superchips tunes and doesn't have similar SCT tuning. It might make the little noise like an Xcal2, but it's not the same.

Please explain higher power tunes with factory pressure levels...

Email:

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
mmmm...beer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamW View Post
Possable, but try letting it puke its way down to where it wants to be, then dont refill it. If mine is overfilled, it will puke its way to where it wants... then it will probably stop. which is usuially an inch or two below the min. line. Eric probably wrote your tune for a non studded truck and kept it within factory spec. if you let him know you dont have studs.
To the OP, don't be too quick to dismiss this possibility. If you do some reading, you'll find this is fairly common. Using my truck as an example, when I loaded x-treme street, my coolant was 1/2" below min. After a few WOT runs, it pushed coolant out of the cap untill it settled about 1.5" below min.

BTW, I started with an Edge JP as well (installed by PO). I'm here to tell you the Edges CAN and DO make these trucks have fawked up symptoms. I'm not just talking about the transmission.

Scott
06' F-250 Harley Davidson CC SB
Lifted 6", 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers, intake, exhaust, gauges, tunes by Eric, GoGo Stage 1, Power Max, Strictly RR, Ported Uppipes, Swamps 58v FICM w/Atlas 80, 5r by Elite.

04' Excursion
Stock

99' F-250 EC SB
Stockish
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
Interestingly enough the adaptive transmission never stops learning. No module is going to alter the shift tables inside the processor.

The EVO runs superchips tunes and doesn't have similar SCT tuning. It might make the little noise like an Xcal2, but it's not the same.

Please explain higher power tunes with factory pressure levels...
This is true with canned tunes on the evo. but mine is custom tuned and it is very similar to my buddys with an sct (not the same but similar!!!!!!!) Bill from php has assured me the custom tunes he writes stay within factory limits for cylinder pressures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode