Coolant filter question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Coolant filter question

Hey guys I'm planning to install sinster coolant filter on my 04 6.0 that i bought couple months ago and ive seen mixed answers so i figured id ask myself.

Should i run the new filter for 500 miles with the coolant thats in my truck now before doing coolant flush?

Also is the wix filter that Comes with the kit good quality and how often should the filter be changed?

Any other tips/info would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Coolant filter question

welcome to the forum! i never understood why come people say to run the filter for a few hundred miles before flushing the system. Maybe somebody will chime it! Anyhoo, i figure you'll be better off draining and flushing ASAP. especially if you are backflushing and draining out of the block drains too. that way, your new bypass filter will maintain your already clean coolant and serve as an excellent monitoring device.
Rcjetsaok likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:18 PM
PSN Veteran

Flush the coolant now, and then after 500-1000 miles change out the filter for the first time.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

yeah buddy! mine looked like pea soup after the first 500 miles. third or fourth filter in and it's super clean now.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:36 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
yeah buddy! mine looked like pea soup after the first 500 miles. third or fourth filter in and it's super clean now.
Sounds like your filter is doing a great job right off the bat. My question is, have you had any indications of oil cooler restriction ( delta's ) ? The fact that your filter IS catching crud, that same crud is throughout the system and going through the cooler as well. I am hoping that the cooler does allow some stuff through that only the filter can catch... I just did massive flush and new radiator and cooler and added the Sinister filter system. I know this system is a bypass system and not in complete direct flow but I am in hopes that it will catch any remaining crud ( which I have no reason to believe there is any, But you know there has to be a little, ) before it becomes a cooler issue. I am very confident with my flush and back flush before and after the new cooler and radiator. My delta's are running 4-6 and I sure hope they stay that way... I guess time will tell...

Thanks !!

Dan
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:25 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcjetsaok View Post
Sounds like your filter is doing a great job right off the bat. My question is, have you had any indications of oil cooler restriction ( delta's ) ? The fact that your filter IS catching crud, that same crud is throughout the system and going through the cooler as well. I am hoping that the cooler does allow some stuff through that only the filter can catch... I just did massive flush and new radiator and cooler and added the Sinister filter system. I know this system is a bypass system and not in complete direct flow but I am in hopes that it will catch any remaining crud ( which I have no reason to believe there is any, But you know there has to be a little, ) before it becomes a cooler issue. I am very confident with my flush and back flush before and after the new cooler and radiator. My delta's are running 4-6 and I sure hope they stay that way... I guess time will tell...

Thanks !!

Dan
Negatory, i never had any reason to believe my oil cooler is getting clogged. Just doing some preventative maint! The previous owner popped a HG and let ford fix it and they refilled system with ford gold coolant. so i went ahead and did a flush & fill with some CAT ELC and filter install for preventative maintenance. I'm guessing that the 'pea soup' crap i found was the remnants from when the HG blew. and i feel very lucky that i haven't had an oil cooler issue to date!

edit: I did catch some scaley rusty sandy looking stuff at first too, but now its not catching that stuff. i'd probably catch a lot more if i had a full flow instead of a bypass lol
Rcjetsaok likes this.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks guys. Filter is ordered. Ill be flushing the system tuesday. Ill be doing it myself. Is there anything i need to watch out for? I dont wanna mess anything up. I do all my own maintenance but never done a coolant flush.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:16 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

now is a great time to install fumoto valves on the block drains, makes it so much easier to do the multiple drain/fills for a DIY flush. not that i would know, i cheaped out when i did mine lol, and i regret it!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
now is a great time to install fumoto valves on the block drains, makes it so much easier to do the multiple drain/fills for a DIY flush. not that i would know, i cheaped out when i did mine lol, and i regret it!
Thanks. Never heard of that. I was debating on skipping draining the block but i think ill regret it if i dont.

Ive been searching for a good write-up on coolant flush + draining block but nobody seems to drain the block. Do i only have to drain the block for first flush or each time i get up to temp and drain destilled water i have to take plugs from block and put them back? Seems like they'd be too hot to touch to do it each time.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:37 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

that's what the fumoto valve are for, just turn the little knobs and let it flow! or put a piece of vinyl hose on the nipples and direct it somewhere else.
...lemme see i fi can find that writeup we have ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode