Will Aggressive Fan Clutch Wear Out Pulleys and Belts - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 79jasper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Redman 1967

Will Aggressive Fan Clutch Wear Out Pulleys and Belts

In the past several years, I've slowly as budget allows, been bulletproofing my '05 F350 6.0 SWR with 4.30 gearing with BPD products. The most recent upgrade I performed was switching out the OEM fan clutch to the BPD 7.3 mechanical fan clutch. So far I've enjoyed my coolant/oil temps running 10 degrees less or more from what I was running before when towing. Now as my post states, with such an aggressive fan clutch I noticed when I'm in tow/haul mode and using engine braking, my RPM's will rev to slow me down and the fan clutch is fully engaged at this time. I does its job in slowing me down but the noise of the clutch is very loud since I'm assuming the clutch is fully locked. Will this increase wear on my belts and pulley? I'm asking because I'm noticing a squeal coming from inside the hood when I'm engine braking only and RPM's over 3k. Anything under 3k RPM and I don't hear the squealing. It's never down this before. Not even when I WOT the truck only when I'm engine braking. I replaced both belts at the same time when I installed the mechanical fan almost 2 years ago. Both belt tensioners were in good shape at the time and never allowed the belts to slip. I replaced my belt tensioners approximately 6 yrs ago when I replaced my belts prior to this installation. My plan is to replace both tensioners, belts and any worn out pulleys, if needed. However, will having such an aggressive fan clutch that is locked more often wear down my pulleys and belts? Also, my RPM's will run higher when engine braking as I'm running 4.30 gears.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 PM
Master BS'er

Re: Will Aggressive Fan Clutch Wear Out Pulleys and Belts

No.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:08 AM
PSN Veteran

Considering 7.3's ran them........................ lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Turd-250 likes this.

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:14 AM
Master BS'er

Well not only that, but the power steering, ac, even the alternator puts way more load that a fan ever will.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM

Your pulley is just glazed over. Mine was squealing and I just clean it up with a wire wheel and then hit it with some emery cloth. Reinstalled it and no more noise.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode