IDP Tunes….normal for them to run so “Clean” - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question IDP Tunes….normal for them to run so “Clean”

Not that I’m complaining….but just about every other diesel truck I see out on the road towing something blows a little black smoke every now and then. My buddies 100% stock 5.9 Cummins truck blows a little black smoke when he gets on it a little, without any load on it at all (towing).

The inside of my exhaust tip is pretty black, but I’ve never looked in the rearview mirror and seen any smoke at all…even when towing my camper up some pretty steep grades when I’m on the throttle pretty hard. Is that normal for the 6.0’s to run that clean, or are the IDP tunes (I mostly run their mild Towing tune) just that “clean” running with no black smoke?

The truck runs great with no issues…I was just wondering. That being said I’ve never got on the gas very hard running the IDP Street tune, and only tried the Extreme Street tune once for a very short time, and haven’t ran it since (not work the risk of breaking something). So maybe those are a little different?

I was just wondering…….

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 AM
Because I can!!!

Re: IDP Tunes….normal for them to run so “Clean”

Its probaby because its on the lower tune. Hotter tunes =more fuel. My 6.0 smokes like a train on my hot tune when i get on it but the rest are fairly clean. I daily it on the hot tune but just keep my foot out of it. One thing I've found after several duramax's and powerstrokes is that if you can keep your foot out of them the hot tunes get the best mpg. Just a something to try maybe too. Just because its turned up doesnt mean you have to drive it like it is always

97 F350 cclb
7.3 5spd

95 f350 rclb 7.3

02 f350 ccsb 7.3
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

I have all of IDP tunes for my 6.0 and she smokes like a freight train on every last one... but I have 190/100% injectors and the atlas 80 php ficm tune so all my truck wants to do is dump fuel into the cylinders....

If your running stock parts, they won’t run as if you have a built up motor....

Also running on the hotter tunes gives you the best mpg, keeping the foot off the skinny petal is the hard part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 F-250 Lariat 6.0L, crew cab, 2006 motor swap, white w/ gray interior, SCT X4, 4'' down pipe with 5'' to a stack, 325/65-18 nitto terra grapplers, air rad intake, egr delete, studded and deleted, FASS System ([email protected]) with sump, 190/100% Swamps Diesel Injectors, atlas 80 PHP FICM, RCD rods, DDPM lifters, Turbo Lab of America turbo.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherf View Post
I have all of IDP tunes for my 6.0 and she smokes like a freight train on every last one... but I have 190/100% injectors and the atlas 80 php ficm tune so all my truck wants to do is dump fuel into the cylinders....

If your running stock parts, they won’t run as if you have a built up motor....

Also running on the hotter tunes gives you the best mpg, keeping the foot off the skinny petal is the hard part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I noticed that. I get a solid 2+mpg better on the highway running my Extreme Street tune vs. the Towing Tune. I went on a short 60 mile trip this weekend on the highway at 70mph and made just under 20mpg on the Extreme Street tune.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode