Freshen Up Short Block or Run It? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cummins Junkie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Freshen Up Short Block or Run It?

Head gaskets are done so it's time to have some fun. Truck is 06 F250 with 210K. Engine is out and plan on full update of HPO system, new oil cooler, RCD stage 2 cam, new lifters, heads (UCF Machine) and studs. 190/30 injectors, and KC Stage 2 or 2R turbo. I had planned to just run the short block as is. The above mods and updates will break the budget as it is and another 1500 in the short block seemed unnecessary. Plus I figure the trans will be on borrowed time after the mods so that 1500 will be used elsewhere. If it will go another 150K why not run it? Opinions and suggestions welcome. Anyone with similar setup?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3201.jpg (18.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3198.jpg (22.8 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: Freshen Up Short Block or Run It?

I would advise completely rebuilding it. Its a bit more yea, but since its out why not do it right and set it up for another 250k+?
Rolfsted likes this.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:10 AM
PSN Veteran

Pull the bed plate and check the mains. Pull a few Rod caps and get the bearings too. If you see no scoring or copper and the cylinders looks good I wouldn’t tell touch it unless it has an ungodly amount of hours

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:35 AM
Master BS'er

What's the compression? That'll tell ya what you need to know.

I agree, if it's good then leave it alone. You could always plastigauge it.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:59 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
Pull the bed plate and check the mains. Pull a few Rod caps and get the bearings too. If you see no scoring or copper and the cylinders looks good I wouldn’t tell touch it unless it has an ungodly amount of hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post

If you're going as far as pulling the bedplate, thats halfway to rebuilding the bottom end lol. if youre pulling it apart like that, why put it back in with half the original crap in it? Theres never a better time.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins Junkie View Post
If you're going as far as pulling the bedplate, thats halfway to rebuilding the bottom end lol. if youre pulling it apart like that, why put it back in with half the original crap in it? Theres never a better time.
Because that's a whole lot of extra work if it gains you nothing. Say the clearance is .003, so you re bearing everything to get the clearance to .003? There's no point.

If the clearance is excessive, then there's a point. If the clearance is within spec, there isn't.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post

Unfortunately I did not do a compression check before I tore it down. Wishing I had now though, but other than head gasket issue pressurizing coolant system engine ran perfect.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
Considered this as well. I had decided if I end up pulling the bed plate I may as well go thru it at that point. Planning to look closer at the cylinders and deck surface this weekend, which depending on my findings will probably determine my decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode