Head Gaskets Again? Need Advice - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Scab

Head Gaskets Again? Need Advice

The issue-

I have an 04 with 80k miles on it and it is whistling from the coolant resevoir cap (I think).

Background-

The truck got an SCT with Innovative's X race tune at about
30k miles. At about 40k I was getting some serious puking and had ARP Studs intalled with and egr block off plate. At 75k, just prior to my 2nd factory turbo locking up, I started hearing a very strange whistling noise coming from under the hood. I thought it was the soon to be dead turbo crying out for help. My boost gauge would show 50 PSI at the end of third gear at WOT. I installed a VGTSR and on my road test I heard this noise again. Took it to a freind (Ford Diesel Tech) that did the studs for me, and he told me the noise was coming from my resevoir cap. He said that my head studs were likely leaking again. I have had to add a little bit of coolant over time, but I never noticed any puking. My freind told me to get the heads fixed again and "get a smaller damn tune"

Questions

Has anyone else had this problem?
Has anyone successfully retorqued head studs?
Is this tune making my truck eat turbos?
Does the 50 PSI sound possible or sound like a gauge problem?

Any other thoughts are appreciated

ADAM

2004 ECSB
1997 CCLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
NASCAR ditched all the 7.3L response vehicles cause they couldn't get out to the accident scene fast enough. When lives matter, HP wins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Banned

Re: Head Gaskets Again? Need Advice

ARP are the problem ,there junk! My 2 cents.I only use H-11s and never have trouble.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 AM
PSN Veteran

No issues with my arps, most run them. Did you have the heads checked for warping or magnafluxed before you put them back on? you will never get a good seal if the head is not true to begin with

2006 F250 CCSB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks to FCDP and Innovative Diesel

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Scab

yeah the were checked for warpage but I seriously doubt the dealership would magnaflux anything.

ADAM

2004 ECSB
1997 CCLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
NASCAR ditched all the 7.3L response vehicles cause they couldn't get out to the accident scene fast enough. When lives matter, HP wins.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Master of Disaster

Nothing wrong with my ARPS.....it dont matter which brand you use, its all about how they are installed. Need to be check for flatness by a machinist and milled down, not just checked with a straight edge. Then Magnafluxed for cracks. While mine were apart i had them go ahead and do 3 angle valve job and valve guides.

2004 F-350 6.0 6" lift 35's 6spd MANUAL 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, (ARP's,New HG's EGR Delete from RCD Coolant Filter, 4 gauge pillar with Autometer Phantom Series 1 gauges. Boost, Pyro, Fuel Pressure and Oil Temp. Shimmed FPR. FabTechs.Improved Banjo Bolts, SCT X3 by RCD
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Proud Sponsor

ARP's aren't the problem, its more likely that its a head issue or a bad install on the studs.

Adam Brannan
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
loud and long

i had this problem to. nothing againts erics tunes but thats where my problem came from. i had river city do my head gaskets and studs so i called them.josh sent me some new tunes and i havent pushed coolant since, and i cant tell a diff.in power. if you catch it in time it might seal it self up with having the multilayer gasket. also my other buddy has fireringed heads with studs and he was running innovatives tunes and he started pushing coolant to. i loved my innovative tunes but i didnt loved pushin coolant with studs. call river city and there make ur truck not a leaker

06 f250 w/ sct tunes from Gearhead
2"leveling kit w/ 350 blocks in rear
5 inch straight pipe
s&b intake
arp head studs
full egr delete
oil bypass
155/75 injectors
64/71 non vgt

Just bought-97 f250 ext cab long bed
Looking for Dana 60 front axel

RIP MAXINE
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA-Diesel Perf View Post
ARP are the problem ,there junk! My 2 cents.I only use H-11s and never have trouble.
your two since is worthless... there are probably three times as many trucks with arps than h11s..the one truck i have seen with h11s puked

post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

If you didn't have the heads decked and the studs installed right then yes you will still have issues.

Take it to a good shop that will pull the heads check them out and do it right then you wont have any issues again.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin6-0 View Post
The issue-

I have an 04 with 80k miles on it and it is whistling from the coolant resevoir cap (I think).

Background-

The truck got an SCT with Innovative's X race tune at about
30k miles. At about 40k I was getting some serious puking and had ARP Studs intalled with and egr block off plate. At 75k, just prior to my 2nd factory turbo locking up, I started hearing a very strange whistling noise coming from under the hood. I thought it was the soon to be dead turbo crying out for help. My boost gauge would show 50 PSI at the end of third gear at WOT. I installed a VGTSR and on my road test I heard this noise again. Took it to a freind (Ford Diesel Tech) that did the studs for me, and he told me the noise was coming from my resevoir cap. He said that my head studs were likely leaking again. I have had to add a little bit of coolant over time, but I never noticed any puking. My freind told me to get the heads fixed again and "get a smaller damn tune"

Questions

Has anyone else had this problem?
Has anyone successfully retorqued head studs?
Is this tune making my truck eat turbos?
Does the 50 PSI sound possible or sound like a gauge problem?

Any other thoughts are appreciated
Start checking the piping to the turbo. Too many pipes have ruptured around the flexible sections that at different times and heat levels will make different whistle noises. 50lbs of boost sounds high. Was that on the factory turbos? If so, you need to figure out what is spinning the hell out of it. Like a shorted EBP harness or sensor itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA-Diesel Perf View Post
Everyday I hear something retarded. And today it's happend earlier than usual. If you can't get an ARP stud to work, you are doing something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentos View Post
your two since is worthless... there are probably three times as many trucks with arps than h11s..the one truck i have seen with h11s puked
At least that many. How many times have ARP gone on backorder? Dozens, and every time they did H11s were always around.

Email:

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode