Wrong Shocks Installed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Wrong Shocks Installed

Ok, so I'm brand new to trucks and therefore lifts, I've got some kind of Leveling Kit on my truck, No idea what it is as it came on it when I bought it. It's got some pretty thick springs Spacers (no idea what size they are since they're "slanted") but I can say that the Rancho Shocks on the front are RS5221 part number, I looked them up to try to determine the size of lift...nope, they're for various year and model Dodge Rams, So obviously I'll be changing them out. I do want to get a Bilstein Kit with longer front coils, but I have no idea how tall my front end is right now, (lifted height). How do I find out how much my front has been lifted right now so I know what to get to keep the same lift height? Also, obviously depending on the height I need to verify the camber and track bar? (those are questions). Thanks for all the help in advance.

Stephen B.

2006 F350 Lariat CCSB FX4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Re: Wrong Shocks Installed

ALSO! If I go with longer coils what do I do with the Spacers? Replace with factory coil bushing things?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Here's a picture of the Spacers there's a number on them "6308" but I can't find any info on them. Also, just measured the front and rear fender heights, fronts are 42.5" and rears are 44"...I'm measuring on my slanted driveway so there's that. (nose pointed up hill).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180324_132443.jpg (25.7 KB, 11 views)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Administrator

you could either buy new coils and account for your existing spacer or replace the spacers with the oem

but there is nothing wrong with those spacers other than they don't give you more travel with the lift like a longer coil has the potential for doing

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:00 PM
Administrator

those look like 2.5"spacers
i have a set i can check

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Administrator

if your front axle is centered and you don't have bump steer you can stop worrying

but if either of those are an issue then you will need to address them by checking angles/ length /drop arm bracket/pitman drop ETC

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
if your front axle is centered and you don't have bump steer you can stop worrying

but if either of those are an issue then you will need to address them by checking angles/ length /drop arm bracket/pitman drop ETC
Ok cool, I wasn't really worried about it since the truck drives pretty good honestly. it's got a pretty good bounce on the freeways that the kids think is funny (wife not so much) but I'm contributing that to "it's a 1 ton truck with not weight, so it's gonna bounce", that's why I was looking into Bilstein shocks and possibly doing the Sulastic Springs for the rears. I've heard good things about those.

Thanks for the support so far, I'll have someone help me with measuring the front axle dimensions.

If I go with longer coils in the future, what is it I need to buy to replace the coil spacers? would it just be the OEM coil isolator? Is there some hardware or something? Thanks.

Stephen B.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Administrator

to change out the coils you would just need the stock isolators

that bounce does sound like shocks

the sulastics are pricey and i had them for a while I think they induced more bounce on freeways with multiple expansion joints

I don't miss not having them

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode