04 Trans shift probs after programmer install - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

04 Trans shift probs after programmer install

Hey all, I know ive seen other posts on here and other sites as well, with people having trans shift problems after installing a downloader, such as my BullyDog GT. On some of the other posts, people were saying they shifted too firm, some said too soft, etc..Well, heres my problem...I have a 2004 F350 6.0 with the Troqshift autonmatic trans and 4x4, when I install the power download, which is shift on the fly, and has 4 power levels including stock, and Im in the performance or extreme levels, my trans, when shifting from 3-4, jerks very hard, shakes the whole truck, sounds as if something jumped off a gear tooth or something, I dont really know how to explain it, but anyway, it jerks harshly, then finally after a couple of tries, it goes into 4th, and then when it goes to 5th, it seems to go up and down, up and down with the rpm's a few times, then finally settles into overdrive. I returned the truck back to stock, and it seems to shift perfectly. Also, around this same time, I noticed my truck has lost power, it seems as if you're pulling a load or somthing when you start to take off at a stop sign or something, and when youre on the interstate and floor it to pass or something, again, it feels like youve got a large load behind it, or maybe how it would feel if it were starved for fuel or something, just holding back and very slow to build rpm's. I mean, in stock power, I know its not going to be super strong feeling, but it used to take off fairly hard. What all this has me wondering is, could something like the torque convertor have locked up in my trans when I had the programmer on it, causing the problems with the 3-4 shift, and stuck, just never unlocked or something, and now its taking too much power to get it moving with the truck at stock power level, or do the problems sound like theyre probably unrelated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 04 Trans shift probs after programmer install

So your having trans issues after installing a bullydog? I would say give the bullydog away and get a SCT.

That being said your experience could be with torque converter lockup, as it sounds similar to my 6.0 on a race file. However, mine does not seem nearly intense as yours. If my converter is locked the 3-4/3-5 shift is pretty harsh, truck moves back and forth like someone learning to drive a stick. The loss of power could just be the converter locking as you get on the gas, it's not really a lack of power, but just a drop in RPM's as it's locks. Feels strange when you haven't had it happen before. I'm not saying it is TQ converter lockup you are feeling, but it sounds very similar...

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Ditch the bullydog and get you a custom tuned SCT!

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

yeah, but just saying, it isnt what id call a firm shift into 3-4, like I said, it almost feels like the kind of jerk I used to experience when I had my 91 bronco with big tires, and still had the factory automatic hubs, when they got in a strain, theyd let loose with a bang, you could hear the metal ringing it would jerk so hard. Its almost that kind of bang when it tries to go into 4th. Anyway, if it IS the convertor locking up, which as 06powerstroke stated above, I havent had happen before, or never experienced this feeling, is there any way I can stop this from happening, and get back to the way it was before, when it felt like it had enough power to get out of its own way?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Does it still feel like it lacks power when it is turned back to stock? Either way I wouldn't put a bullydog on my truck, these transmissions don't like generic tuners.

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 AM
PSN Newb

my Edge did the same thing when i had it on the truck. i went with an SCT also and ditched the Edge. night and day difference on the trans and power. i would GIVE the Bullydog away and get an SCT.

i love lift laws...and police...and equipment violations!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yeah, the truck is returned back to stock now, and this is when im feeling the lack of power. The trans shifts fine right now while its returned to stock, but its when you install the download and go to performance or extreme when the trans jerks so bad. hylife03, did your truck do the trans jerking thing when you had the edge on it, or did it do the lack of power thing Im describing after you returned the truck back to stock, or both?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 AM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

There isn't anything in the bullydog for actually altering the transmission tuning. There is some torque management changes to try to help, but as you can see. It doesn't work very well.

Email:

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well, I appreciate the info, but now that the bullydog is gone, off the truck, Im experiencing a lack of power from what stock used to be. I at first thought it could be the torque convertor locked up, but I was just driving it and noticed when I first crank it up and drive, it seems to have full power, then about 8 or 10 seconds later, you can still have your foot to the floor, and all at once, you can feel it lose power, just like something cut about 50 horse from it. Any ideas from anybody what that is??
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

Good possibility that the bullydog isn't completely out of it.

Email:

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode