Getting ready to do ARP studs and Felpro HG's....what else while I'm in there? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question Getting ready to do ARP studs and Felpro HG's....what else while I'm in there?

Well, like all other 6.0 owners...my HG's finally failed (or they could have been bad since I bought the truck 2 months ago). I noticed a little coolant around the coolant cap...checked the pressure with a gauge, and I'm hitting 16psi just cruising around with no load. I guess with 217K miles on the truck, it was bound to happen.

So while I've got the heads off...anything else I should do while I'm in there? I've heard that the 6.4 push rods are something you should really do while you are in there. What about new lifters? I've heard that sometimes they will fail on you...or is that not really an issue?

Here are the things that I've already done to the truck in the last few months since I have owned it.

*EGR Delete
*New oil cooler
*Updated stainless steel screen under oil cooler
*Blue Spring Mod
*Updated SCT fitting
*Updated Dummy Plugs
*Updated Standpipes
*Coolant flush
*Cat EC1 coolant
*Coolant filter
*Cleaned Turbo

Anything else I should do while I'm in there replacing the heads gaskets and installing the ARP studs?

Any tips, trips, or advice would be a huge help. I'm so tires of working on this motor...it seems like it's never ending
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:11 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Getting ready to do ARP studs and Felpro HG's....what else while I'm in there?

Pushrods and lifters for sure. I dropped a lifter in mine at less than 190k and am in the build process now. Are you doing the work? Cab on?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Getting ready to do ARP studs and Felpro HG's....what else while I'm in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmow10 View Post
Pushrods and lifters for sure. I dropped a lifter in mine at less than 190k and am in the build process now. Are you doing the work? Cab on?

Oh yea, make sure you take the heads to a reputable machine shop. I would personally oring them if you plan to run a tune.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:50 PM
PSN Local

Please explain the "O-Ring" process. Unfamiliar to this.

Thanks !!

Dan
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:06 PM
PSN Veteran

They machince an o ring groove in the head and install and o ring for extra sealing. Usually used on big hp engines.

I personally would use mahle head gaskets. They are identical to oem except sealant color. They can be bought separately from head bolts. Also known as black diamond.

Only way to do all the lifters is to pull rear cover and branch tubes. . Engine comes out for that

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcjetsaok View Post
Please explain the "O-Ring" process. Unfamiliar to this.

Thanks !!

Dan
An O-ringed head means a#groove is cut onto the head, the whole way around the combustion chamber. #Then a ring is inserted into the groove so that just the rounded edge protrudes from the surface. A#receiver#groove is then milled into the head.#When a pliable material is used, the ring's protrusion pushes the softer copper gasket into the#receiver#groove#cupping the combustion chamber and completely sealing it off.#

This is used to change the geometry of the seal. Instead of two flat surfaces being held together by the bolts, you are actually pushing material beyond the flat sealing surface, cutting the chamber off entirely.#

It has been used in high performance, high compression, high boost gas engines for along time. It's cheap insurance IMO. Others have their own opinions.

Rcjetsaok likes this.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Will I need to get some new copper crush washers for the fuel fittings that go into the cylinder heads? I'm assuming I'm going to need to take those off before I send the heads to the machine shop...right?
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:28 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

You dont have to but why wouldn't you I guess. You can purchase Mahle/Victor Reinz 6.0 gasket kits for $400ish. All the gaskets, o-rings, and other seals you will need for the whole engine (minus bottom end).

Also, o-ringing your heads for a tune?? Completely ridiculous and a waste of money unless you're gonna push competition level hp.

At those miles I would do lifters too, you can either pull engine and take off rear cover or leave engine in and remove trans and do the same thing.

Up pipes as well if you havent yet. Originals will crack after awhile, not super expensive, couple hundred for mbrp pipes, why not do it now.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I was going to replace all of the roller lifters while I was into the motor that deep.....but now I'm a little confused. I've seen some posts where people say they are hard to get to, and some where people have said that they are impossible to get to because you have to pull the back motor plate off to get to them.

What's the real story on the roller lifters? How hard are they to get to? I would like to replace them...but if there is a risk of dropping them down into the motor while I'm attempting to pull them out with a magnet or some other way...not sure it's worth the risk.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Master BS'er

Leaving lifters with 200k would be another one of those big mistake type a things again.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode