Precautions for tuning 2006 6.0L - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Precautions for tuning 2006 6.0L

I've read a few posts here that day tuning a 6.0 pretty much leads to popping HG's inevitably without head studs. I talked to a local shop about the process and they told me that even if they were to put head studs in the truck they couldn't guarantee it being bullet proof without inspecting the heads for cracks by sending them off to a machine shop. I haven't noticed any symptoms of a cracked head but I want to be sure if I'm going to tune my truck that I can avoid popping at all costs. I'm preparing for a cross country trip and don't have time for mechanical failure. Advice on tuning/head studs/cracked head symptoms would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
PSN Local

Re: Precautions for tuning 2006 6.0L

I have no experience with tunes other than I have read that there are some pretty nasty tunes out there that toast transmissions or cause excessive EGT temps.

Regarding the heads, yes, your local shop is right. 6.0L heads like to crack. Taking heads off to put in studs and not send the heads out to be checked would be negligence on the shops part. If you go that route, have a couple extra grand in the emergency fund for the job in case they both are cracked. I had my heads tested...cracked, sent over another set off a spare engine I bought...cracked... ended up buying a set from Ford. The machinist said he seldom gets 6.0L heads to check that aren't cracked.

Current Truck-07 F350 6.0L Diesel 4x4 172"WB
Past - 99.5 F250 172", 2003 F350 7.3 172", 2004 172"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:36 PM
PSN Newb

Having the heads checked by a machine shop is not an option. It's a must. If the heads have issues or if you can swing the cost, get a set of heads from kill devil diesel. Either way don't consider having the heads off without them going to a reputable machine shop.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:40 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmow10 View Post
Having the heads checked by a machine shop is not an option. It's a must. If the heads have issues or if you can swing the cost, get a set of heads from kill devil diesel. Either way don't consider having the heads off without them going to a reputable machine shop. As for tuning the truck, many people including myself have ran tunes on stock HGs and TTY bolts with out any issues. Many people have also blown HGs with stock bolts with no tune. It's a gamble but if you are planning to tune it and travel I would stud it and have the heads o ringed. Just my 2cents worth.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

If you are concerned with reliability, especially if you take long trips in it, then forget the tune and just leave it stock. That's as simple, and as complex, of an answer as you need/can get on that topic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jamiesaun likes this.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
If you are concerned with reliability, especially if you take long trips in it, then forget the tune and just leave it stock. That's as simple, and as complex, of an answer as you need/can get on that topic.

Very true. Basically sums up my thoughts on the subject from the very beginning.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 11:23 AM
PSN Newb

I have 180k on my 2006 that has had the superchips programmer for about 150k of its life. I don't tow heavy but do drive it like a mustang occasionally . My best friend had a Chevy hd and kept borrowing my truck to pull his camper. He went and bought an 2005 exact version of my truck. We had 2 Amarillo editions running around our small town. He now has 525k on his with a banks programmer and he tows a lot. Knock on wood both of us have stock HGs without studs. We both maintain our trucks like clockwork so maybe that's why.

Rcjetsaok likes this.

2006 Amarillo CC 4X4
Magnaflow Turbo Back Duals
Superchips Flashpaq
AccuFab Power Elbow
Sinister Coolant Filter
Frantz Bypass Filter - Not installed Yet
Ready Lift 2.5"F 2.0"R Lift
Rancho RS5000's Shocks and Stabilizer
Yokohama Geolander A/T 37x12.50xR20
2008 Job2 Air Dam
Blue Spring FPR upgrade
Atlas 40 FICM from Ed at FICMREPAIR
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leechiu View Post
I have 180k on my 2006 that has had the superchips programmer for about 150k of its life. I don't tow heavy but do drive it like a mustang occasionally . My best friend had a Chevy hd and kept borrowing my truck to pull his camper. He went and bought an 2005 exact version of my truck. We had 2 Amarillo editions running around our small town. He now has 525k on his with a banks programmer and he tows a lot. Knock on wood both of us have stock HGs without studs. We both maintain our trucks like clockwork so maybe that's why.

That's good and all, but that's highly uncommon. Especially running that banks garbage.

Thank you for not saying all that, then at the end saying "see it'll be fine, go for it". What's that saying at the end of alot of sales commercials...."results may vary, examples given are not typical".

The general consensus is really just "maybe". Maybe it'll be fine, maybe it won't. The end solution to wanting long term reliability is leave it stock until you are prepared to stud it. Trust me, I HATE driving one of these stock after driving one tuned for so long, especially towing anything. But if I had to rely on mine day in, day out, long trips, ect....it would be stock.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 01:08 AM
PSN Local

Am I correct in believing that stock or tuned, towing or not, that not exceeding high EGT's and Boost levels will lessen the odds of HG failure on a well maintained truck and cooling system and delta's within specs ? I know there are no guarantee's in anything but will common sense behavior help on these points help?

Dan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:19 AM
PSN Veteran

It's more of a oil cooler/egr cooler/egr valve/sticking unison ring issue.
Imo, tuning doesn't have a whole lot to do with it, but it will speed things along.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Rcjetsaok likes this.

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode