About to turn it up - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

About to turn it up

I have a 2004 van with the 6.0 and just realized Bullydog makes a programmer for it. I'm fabbing a 4" exhaust to bolt on at the same time. My question is, with all the problems the 6.0 has, what should I do to ensure I don't blow my motor? I've got just over 150,000 miles on it and had the FICM replaced a few hundred miles ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
PSN Newb

Re: About to turn it up

leave that bullydog at the store
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Headstuds, egr delete, custom tuned sct. If you really want the sound get an intake and straight pipe it. Leave it at that.

2006 F250 CCSB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks to FCDP and Innovative Diesel

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemugg View Post
, what should I do to ensure I don't blow my motor? .
don't run a bullydog.

SCT custom tuning is the best and safest out there and controls your tranny too. but as mentioned Studs and egr delete will be a good thing to do
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:27 PM
PSN Local

My question is, with all the problems the 6.0 has, what should I do to ensure I don't blow my motor?

First, I would be more concerned with the transmission if your thinking using a Bully Dog...
That is from my personal experience with Bully Dog Triple Dog, I have run the Bully Dog almost 50,000 miles on my truck and the shift to say the least sucks, I have been babying mine since rebuilding the trans till I upgrade to a custom tuned SCT....
As far as the engine goes I havn't had any problem except replacing the injectors due to stiction, No studs or egr delete yet.... still on original head gaskets and egr system with 148,000 miles on the clock

03 6.0 8" Dick Cepek suspension,PJ Dirt Grip 37X14.50X16 mounted on Polished DC-1, 3 1/2" exhaust with 4" core glasspack,Frantz TP Bypass,Bullydog Triple with outlook and AEM Brute Force intake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Will Iott

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wow, not fans of the BullyDog, huh? In addition to the power, I liked the various info it gave (EGT, OBD codes, trans temp, etc.) Who do you guys recommend for a tuned SCT?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:32 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Wow, not fans of the BullyDog, huh? In addition to the power, I liked the various info it gave (EGT, OBD codes, trans temp, etc.) Who do you guys recommend for a tuned SCT?
I don't belive there would be so many transmission problems with the bully dog if you were running the stock hight tire but I am running a true 37" tall tire. That by its self puts a hell of a lot more load on the transmission.....

The Bully Dog does have some neat stuff, like you say pre and aft turbo EGT at the same time and change on the fly power settings...

I'll make ya a hell of a deal on my Triple Dog Downloader, Outlook Monitor with Piller Pod and 2 EGT Probes if your still thinking of going that way...

03 6.0 8" Dick Cepek suspension,PJ Dirt Grip 37X14.50X16 mounted on Polished DC-1, 3 1/2" exhaust with 4" core glasspack,Frantz TP Bypass,Bullydog Triple with outlook and AEM Brute Force intake

RIP Will Iott

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Metal - It kicks your ass

Quote:
Welcome to the Nation...

Take the advice people give here. It gets expensive paying for your own mistakes. People on PSN know what they are talking about and are very experienced with the PSD. Hence the name "PowerStroke"Nation.

The best thing for you to do from here would utilize the search option. It seems that you may have a little bit of learning to do when it comes your truck.

Modded L99

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
PSN Veteran

SCT custom Tuned by Eric at Innovative Diesel Performance and ive heard some good things about Matt from Gearhead. EGR delete, headstuds are another good thing, as well as a coolant filter kit, so you can keep your oil cooler unclogged. Oh and some analog gauges to monitor everything.

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
PSN Local

Like said get a SCT there are quite a few good tuners out there, delete the egr, and you will have a good running truck. You can also look into getting your FICM flashed it improves throttle response.

2001 2500 4x4
Built 12 valve
TNT Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode