Wiring Suggestions: LN 230amp - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Weatherlite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Wiring Suggestions: LN 230amp

Just got my Leece Neville 230 amp alt and looking for some suggestions on upgrading the wiring.

I'll likely install it tomorrow since my current alt is dead, but would like to upgrade the wiring sooner than later.

Have read just about a million posts and just not sure what route to take. Piggyback/Parallel the Alt to Pass +, replace, Alt to. ground, batt ground, Pass + to Driver +, starter, engine to chassis, etc....

Looking for the simplest yet most efficient way, also what gauge wiring is recommended?

Only pushing 2 amps (off driver's batt) less than 1500 watts, HIDs, occasionally use LEDs and will eventually get a pair of compressors.

Why the 230amp? Why not I guess... only $50 more than the DC 185. Buy once cry once lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Wiring Suggestions: LN 230amp

Also the installation guide says I need my batts to be charged up.... I think mine are at 11.5v at best when I drove it last week. We just moved and I have no clue where my charger is. Guess I'll be buying 2 new batteries tomorrow morning...

Installation guide also says to run new wires just about everywhere... but I know most guys have done differently.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Yes, make sure your batteries are fully charged before running the new alt. As for wiring, it's quite simple, but you can get very complicated if you want to. lol I have a 250 amp alt, so I know what I did works great.

As for size of wire, you could definitely go with 1/0 cable without a problem, but I would recommend 2/0 just for that extra peace of mind. Either way works. Now, for the simple way. Connect one lead from battery negative to the alternator case. If it didn't come with a ground post on the side of the alt, just use a bolt in the small hole which sits between the two bolts on the passenger side. Connect another lead from battery positive to the alternator ouput, but make sure you have a AGL fuse in-line rated at 230 amps, or as close to it as possible. I would think a 250 amp fuse would be fine, and think it's the closest they make to 230. That's it! Leave your stock wiring in place and drive.

And now, the complicated way. lol Really, it's not bad, but does take some time and more wire. Instead of running the ground straight to the alternator, you replace the existing grounds with more wire in the new gauge. Not really needed if you ask me, though I do recommend making sure existing grounds are clean.

One other addition I DO recommend, though, is either replacing or supplementing the wiring between batteries. I didn't replace, I just added. Make a run of your gauge of choice from battery to battery...pos to pos, neg to neg. That way you are ensuring maximum current flow between batteries as well.

Oh, for your cable ends, use tinned copper to prevent corrosion. And for your cables, use pure copper. No CCA! I use Excelene welding cable and have had it there for almost three years without a single problem.
Rcjetsaok likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:29 PM
PSN Newb

I would recommend a cable from the negative on the drivers side battery, to the frame, clean all surfaces well, and then to the block as well to help balance loads. I used 2/0 cable on my truck with a 4/0 from battery to battery, because I had it, but 2/0 should be more than good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode