6.0 Fuel Mileage?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 Fuel Mileage??

First off please correct me if this isnt the desired area to post this discussion in. I am new to Powerstroke nation. Okay a couple weeks ago I bought my first diesel. 2003 ford f-250 xlt cclb. 4" lift with 35" tires. I am very familiar with 6.0s and have worked on them and been researching them for about 3 years before I bought my own. The truck is completely stock other than a bypass coolant filter, very clean and well taken care of. 173,xxx miles. I just hand calculated my MPG today and averaged around 11.5 city/highway combined. I know I can do better than that. The truck has 8 new stock ford injectors installed by a reputable 6.0 mechanic. I am thinking a turboback exhaust and egr delete should bring my mpg up quite a bit (was going to do this anyways). What are some suggestions for getting better fuel economy? Thanks ahead of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:44 PM
PSN Local

Re: 6.0 Fuel Mileage??

PHP FICM Tune
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 03:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

^ This. Plus, there is a thread all about MPG....I think it's in the stickies. All sorts of things you can try, but the FICM tune and your driving habits will be the two biggest factors. That is, of course, assuming everything is fine with your truck. A sticking unison ring in the turbo could deteriorate MPG, as could many other things.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:15 PM
PSN Newb

Be prepared to be shocked by the fuel mileage if youre coming from a car, to your truck. Its gonna be quite an eye opener. They arent quite as bad as like big block cadillacs or the old 5 ton Ford l9000s with the 390, but theyre definately no smart car lol

Everyone is gonna tell you to stay out of the pedal, that might save some fuel but id recomend NOT being too gentle...they tend to get gummed up if you dont work them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksrt8 View Post

Everyone is gonna tell you to stay out of the pedal, that might save some fuel but id recomend NOT being too gentle...they tend to get gummed up if you dont work them.
The occasional "blowout" is good for the turbo, yes.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Send a message via MSN to Mhatlen

Put a 4"turbo back exhaust system on the truck. If you can omit the Cat Converter do so that will also help. A straight thru design muffler is also going to help with EGT and mileage.
Make sure fuel pressure is 50 PSI or better and make damn sure turbo is freely adjusting VGT wise.

Then a FICM Atlas40 will likely give you a few MPG gains. Also a good ECM tune will likely help with mileage too as long as its no aggressive.

Now heres something that doesn't come easy but with my 38" tires I average 17MPG and that is exactly what I'm averaging. On the highway if I'm trying really hard to be good I can get 20 mpg on level highway at 65-70 mph. But I am emission free engine has been rebuilt o-ringed and runs better then new. Also the 38" tires are 105 lbs each along with 20 lb wheels so at 125 lbs each once they get turning a flywheel affect surely plays a factor here. My truck just lumbers down the road almost effortlessly.

So lift it 7" and toss on some big rollers. Will only need to drop around $7,000 to get it where my truck is today. lol
But not many like jacking their truck up to a point where it sucks to get in and out, so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe a bowl full of salt

2006 F250 Lariat CCSB 4X4, ARP Studs, O-Ringed heads Fass 125, Cat EC-1, IPR coolant filter, SCT Tuner w/PHP custom tow tune, Atlas40, Updated Turbo lines/stc/standpipes/D-plugs No EGR, DC Power 270 amp, 4" SS exhaust w/Corsa, Amp Steps, Die Hard AGM Platinums, Icon coils Carli/Deaver leafs 7" of lift, All on Fatty Daddy Toyo MT 38/15.50/18
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:32 PM
PSN Newb

Atlas40 and FICMRepair.com ficm reman got me from 14 hwy to 18+. But yeah, Iím not hitting her hard to get 18. If Iím towing, itís low 15s at best. Around town now is hi 13s vs 11s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode