• 2 Post By Weatherlite
  • 1 Post By bootcamp
  • 1 Post By Weatherlite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Coolant filter review

I know there have been a few reviews already, but since I made my own, and use a different filter, I figured I'd post one up.

First, I didn't buy a premade kit. I bought the mount, filter, etc separately. The filter I use is a Baldwin B5134. No additives in it. Just filters.

One thing I can now say is a definite oversight on my part, is the location of the filter. I didn't think I would have to worry about it since I live in a desert. WRONG!! The filter housing was so rusted on the front side (which I can't see unless I get up in there) that when I took the filter off it collapsed under the tension of the strap wrench. A medium tap with a screwdriver broke right through it. However, it has been a year, so this is my fault, not the filter's.

As for how well it works....well, just take a look at the pics. I still had ample flow through it, and when I drained the coolant to change my t-stat, there was zero particulates in the coolant. Also, I'm including a couple extra pics showing the spring, how it is constructed, etc. As for the discoloration on the element, and the difference in color on the media (you can see it change from brown to red if you look closely enough) is because the filter is mounted sideways, so I imagine there was an air pocket in there. I'm going to be remedying that shortly.

Lots of crud in the gap there. All dirt and road grime. Didn't get past the seal, though.

Inside the casing

Media laid out flat

A little closer view. Can start to see the crud in the filter. If you look from left to right, you can see the color change where the air pocket was.

LOTS of crap trapped in there!

Spring which holds the element inside the filter casing

Outlet hole. Note the discoloration on the one side. That's where it didn't have coolant constantly contacting it.

Opposite side where the spring goes.

Where the media is glued to the filter.

There was absolutely nothing inside the inner portion of the canister. This filter definitely does its job. I still have 8 degree deltas on the oil cooler, though that's when I'm running 72 MPH. If I were going the 60 or so Ford recommends, I imagine my deltas would be much lower. I'm happy with this setup (other than needing to reorient the filter).
Whoknows and jcruiser70 like this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 03:05 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Coolant filter review

Great writeup! would you day your filter setup is a bypass style (ie sinister)?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

It is. Pulls from the heater line just like the rest and returns it to the degas bottle through the small line which goes between bottle and radiator.

2004 Excursion 6.0

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 12:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

lol cuttin' fliters like the A&P mechanics lol

2004 F-250 Lariat 6.0L, crew cab, 2006 motor swap, white w/ gray interior, SCT X4, 4'' down pipe with 5'' to a stack, 325/65-18 nitto terra grapplers, air rad intake, egr delete, studded and deleted, FASS System ([email protected]) with sump, 190/100% Swamps Diesel Injectors, atlas 80 PHP FICM, RCD rods, DDPM lifters, Turbo Lab of America turbo.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:28 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

mine looked like a wolverine got ahold of it when i took mine apart lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

I generally use a pipe cutter, its quick and easy, then a box knife to cut the element out.

Now out of curiosity, what would that filter element be catching? it shouldn't be catching any silicates due to running the red stuff... so is sulfur and carbon still getting in the coolant?

2004 F-250 Lariat 6.0L, crew cab, 2006 motor swap, white w/ gray interior, SCT X4, 4'' down pipe with 5'' to a stack, 325/65-18 nitto terra grapplers, air rad intake, egr delete, studded and deleted, FASS System (220[email protected]) with sump, 190/100% Swamps Diesel Injectors, atlas 80 PHP FICM, RCD rods, DDPM lifters, Turbo Lab of America turbo.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 08:06 PM
PSN Local

I think some of the red stuff does have silicate in it, i could be wrong, maybe someone else will chime in.
Zmann likes this.

USMC
05 F250 6" LIFT,
CUSTOM FUEL SYSTEM
GAUGES, FUEL,TRANS,OIL,PYROMETER,BOOST
FLUID DAMPER
SCTF3 TUNE
HELLMANS SUMP
4.10 GEARS
UCF Oringed heads with +625 studs
MBRP
EDS FICM
PHP
Warren 175/75 INJECTORS
APEX PORTED MANIFOLD
OUO RADIUS ARMS
BPD RADIATOR
ALRADCO INTERCOOLER
RCD 68/BATMOWHEEL
TWISTED STG 3 TRANS W/P&I CONVERTER
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Zerex for one has silicates in their red ELC ( i asked them directly after i read some post on it and thought it was BS but nope it was true )

i use an air chisel to open my filters

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

It's catching mainly casting sand from what I understand....and any congealed silicates if there was any left after the chemical flush.
Scherf likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode