Oil Cooler- OEM vs. BPD - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Oil Cooler- OEM vs. BPD

I have to replace the oil cooler on my 05 6.0L engine so I have been doing research but haven't found a definitive answer yet so I'm asking for thoughts and opinions.

One mechanic I talked to said their shop replaces the OC with an upgraded OEM with wider coolant passages to prevent that restriction, then flush the coolant system and change to CAT ELC coolant. That with up graded turbo up pipes, EGR delete, tuner, oil and coolant change and all the labor is about 3,000 dollars.

The BPD OC and EGR upgrade/ delete are about 2,600 in parts before labor.

I live in Montana, where it gets pretty damn cold in the winter and I haul 6 horses frequently so it will be doing a fair amount of towing in mountainous regions. Given the info what are your guys' thoughts on this matter? Will the upgraded OEM coupled with different coolant prevent this problem in the future, or should I go with the BPD and save the headache later? Final question- delete the EGR or upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:52 AM
carbonation

Re: Oil Cooler- OEM vs. BPD

OEM and change to Cat ELC is a good approach. Restore flush first though, rinse, then replace the cooler. No sense in dislodging crap into your new cooler.
Shell Rotella Ultra ELC is my choice, no silicates. The more available Zerex ELC has a small amount of silicate, and that's one thing you are trying to eliminate. Mobil and Chevron Delo have silicate free formulas as well. We do not require nitrite in the mix, (no cylinder liners,) but no harm if it's there.
https://mobildelvac.com/en/coolant-a...ant-antifreeze
Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Coolant-Antifreeze | Shell ROTELLA®
Delo ELC Coolant - Heavy Duty Antifreeze

BPD is awesome, with 2 caveats. It's right up front. Hit a deer, moose, car, truck, I don't care, you aren't driving home, you are likely on the side of the road dripping oil. And in cold weather you will need the optional thermostat, adding cost. The trade off is you'll never be dinking around with another cooler, the darn thing just works.
If you do not have emissions inspections, delete. EGR in your truck is like smoking for your lungs. Lots and lots of EGR delete tunes available to turn off the light and make things happy.
If you have to be inspected, detected, molested, or rejected, the BPD is the last EGR cooler you'll install.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:25 AM

I wouldn't do the "upgraded" cooler either. The larger passages will actually cause it to have higher oil temps.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
OEM and change to Cat ELC is a good approach. Restore flush first though, rinse, then replace the cooler. No sense in dislodging crap into your new cooler.
Shell Rotella Ultra ELC is my choice, no silicates. The more available Zerex ELC has a small amount of silicate, and that's one thing you are trying to eliminate. Mobil and Chevron Delo have silicate free formulas as well. We do not require nitrite in the mix, (no cylinder liners,) but no harm if it's there.

BPD is awesome, with 2 caveats. It's right up front. Hit a deer, moose, car, truck, I don't care, you aren't driving home, you are likely on the side of the road dripping oil. And in cold weather you will need the optional thermostat, adding cost. The trade off is you'll never be dinking around with another cooler, the darn thing just works.
If you do not have emissions inspections, delete. EGR in your truck is like smoking for your lungs. Lots and lots of EGR delete tunes available to turn off the light and make things happy.
If you have to be inspected, detected, molested, or rejected, the BPD is the last EGR cooler you'll install.
Thanks for the info just one question- why would you have nitrite in the coolant?

"If you have to be inspected, detected, molested, or rejected, the BPD is the last EGR cooler you'll install." lololololol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post
I wouldn't do the "upgraded" cooler either. The larger passages will actually cause it to have higher oil temps.
i dont understand how having more coolant flow would cause the oil to be hotter.....?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:17 PM

So the surface area that contacts the oil is smaller. So less oil to be cooled. There is a few threads over on the .org that talk about it. Bpd is a one and done kind of thing.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:28 PM
PSN Newb

Be sure to add a coolant filter to the system to help keep it clean also IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode