Turbo lag - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Weatherlite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Turbo lag

What is the best and safest way to fix turbo lag? Truck is 07 other than having the muffler and cat cut off it is bone stock. Only has 81k miles on it. When you step on the gas it crawls for a couple of secs then the turbo kicks in. Kinda new to the powerstroke side so wasnt sure what was the first thing i can add or change to help this?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM
PSN Local

Re: Turbo lag

Could be your unison ring is sticking from carbon build up. They have a tendency to do that with a vgt turbo. It's not hard to pull the turbo and clean it

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:33 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

x2! a turbo reconditioning kit is not too expensive either, and you'll want it in case the oil tube oring comes apart. might check over the MAP & EBP sensors too real quick. cleaning the EBP sensor and tube made a noticeable difference on my 6.0. one more thing if you pull that turbo - search google images for a new vs. worn out unison ring. the one on my dad's truck developed some wear and the cam slot actually gave some resistance when actuated. we went ahead and put a new one in before it became a problem. I think he found the part for a bit over $100. with your mileage, i bet yours looks good though.

edit: since your new to the 6.0, this wonderful motor has a tendency to get pretty dirty on the exhaust side if there's a lot of idle time or lots of cruising on the highway unloaded. from time to time, it might help to give it something to get hot over. i rarely tow, but there's a hill on the highway near me that gives me a good hot run with close to 20lbs of boost for less than 30 seconds. it also lets me get out my need for speed lol. it does not take long for 565ft-lbs to get an empty truck to 90mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 12:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

I also agree with the cleaning, but that won't cure it. Even with a spotless turbo, I still had a lot of lag. It's, unfortunately, the nature of the beast. From everything I have heard, and experienced, the PHP FICM tune pretty much cures it. I've got one and have tried it on various levels of tune, and they all have a drastic reduction in that lag. It's not completely gone, but it IS a night and day difference.
shrek12 likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 01:13 AM
Master BS'er

I ran into a few of these with mixed results, however, it wasn't due to lag, but either a frozen turbo or a turbo that would stick in the same spot. The ones where the ring looked good and wasn't egg shaped worked fine when done. But ruined unison rings were pretty common.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode