Another 6.0 lifter failer - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
Blake Williford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 107
Unhappy Another 6.0 lifter failer

Sooooo I believe my truck has suffered lifter failure. I know that i was having some issues with them (had a bent pushrod replaced and was still getting an odd tick) and I think something finally let go. I replaced the water pump and was flushing coolant when the truck decided not to crank back up for me. It did not want to build ICP back up for me so before it goes into the shop for anything I am going to go ahead and save up money and prepare for the worst

So I would like y'all's opinion on what the best route is for me? Should I pay to have it repaired or save up for a short block from Asheville Engine?

If I choose to repair this is my current build sheet that will be getting done if the motor is not trashed:
Stage 2 Colt Cam
OEM 6.0 Lifters from River City Diesel
6.4 Pushrods
And some other goodies (lift pump, exhaust wrap, etc)

Would anyone change up anything from this list to prevent lifter failure from happening again?

2002 7.3 CCSB
4" Exhaust, k&n intake, Wicked Wheel, Big Boost, Glowshift Gauges

2005 F250 King Ranch 6.0 CCSB
5" Exhaust, S&B Intake, Edge CTS2, Studded, EGR Deleted, Driven Diesel RR, BD Diesel TC, BPD Remote Oil Cooler, Mishimoto radiator, 7.3 Fan clutch, s363/68 .83 Non-VGT Turbo, T4 setup, Tuned by Prospect Diesel Performance


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blake Williford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:47 PM
PSN Local
 
Scott M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Victoria Texas
Posts: 198
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Williford View Post
Sooooo I believe my truck has suffered lifter failure. I know that i was having some issues with them (had a bent pushrod replaced and was still getting an odd tick) and I think something finally let go. I replaced the water pump and was flushing coolant when the truck decided not to crank back up for me. It did not want to build ICP back up for me so before it goes into the shop for anything I am going to go ahead and save up money and prepare for the worst

So I would like y'all's opinion on what the best route is for me? Should I pay to have it repaired or save up for a short block from Asheville Engine?

If I choose to repair this is my current build sheet that will be getting done if the motor is not trashed:
Stage 2 Colt Cam
OEM 6.0 Lifters from River City Diesel
6.4 Pushrods
And some other goodies (lift pump, exhaust wrap, etc)

Would anyone change up anything from this list to prevent lifter failure from happening again?
Just curious as to how many miles does your truck/motor have on it? I heard it could happen anywhere after 200k or so. I had mine replaced at 170k for this reason. Sorry I dont have any input as to where to go on your truck. hopefully somebody will help out

04 F350 King Ranch Fx4 Leveling Kit
Atlas 40, 4" SP, ARP Studs, EGR Delete,SCT Livewire
20x10 Novakanes/325/60 Nitto G2s
Scott M is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 05:39 AM
PSN Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,086
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

The cam change alone will greatly help. Which lifter took a crap? I'll bet it is one of the rear cylinders.
lenzhotrod is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Master BS'er
 
jamiesaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 5,687
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

A bad lifter is not going to kill your oil pressure, I think you've got a different issue.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
jamiesaun is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Moderator
 
Sbluke55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,853
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

Actually it can. What happens is the needle bearing from the lifter gets sucked up into the oil pump and cracks the from cover and breaks the gears on the pump.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
Sbluke55 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Master BS'er
 
jamiesaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 5,687
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

You mean the needle bearing from the roller? I guess I can see that, since it would drain into the pan and the pump doesn't get filtered oil. I haven't personally seen a lifter come apart at the roller like that. Not yet anyway.

But talk about bad luck. First the roller would have to come apart, then the needle would have to get sucked through the screen on the pickup tube.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
jamiesaun is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:59 PM
PSN Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,086
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

That screen has 1/8" holes!
lenzhotrod is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Master BS'er
 
jamiesaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 5,687
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

Well that ain't much of a screen at all. More like a cheese grater.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
jamiesaun is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
Blake Williford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 107
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Just curious as to how many miles does your truck/motor have on it? I heard it could happen anywhere after 200k or so. I had mine replaced at 170k for this reason. Sorry I dont have any input as to where to go on your truck. hopefully somebody will help out
Its only got around 160k on it Its interesting to see them go out this early especially since my 7.3 has got over 300k with stock internals lol. But I guess I can blame the emissions on this as well since they had to grind the cam for it

2002 7.3 CCSB
4" Exhaust, k&n intake, Wicked Wheel, Big Boost, Glowshift Gauges

2005 F250 King Ranch 6.0 CCSB
5" Exhaust, S&B Intake, Edge CTS2, Studded, EGR Deleted, Driven Diesel RR, BD Diesel TC, BPD Remote Oil Cooler, Mishimoto radiator, 7.3 Fan clutch, s363/68 .83 Non-VGT Turbo, T4 setup, Tuned by Prospect Diesel Performance


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blake Williford is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
Blake Williford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 107
Re: Another 6.0 lifter failer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
You mean the needle bearing from the roller? I guess I can see that, since it would drain into the pan and the pump doesn't get filtered oil. I haven't personally seen a lifter come apart at the roller like that. Not yet anyway.

But talk about bad luck. First the roller would have to come apart, then the needle would have to get sucked through the screen on the pickup tube.

I am pretty sure that's what happened to lol it most likely trashed the cam, and god knows what else. The motor is getting taken out this week and tore down to assess the damage, and right now it will be getting a Stage 1 RCD Cam, OEM lifters, and 6.4 pushrods and of course replacing everything broken.....like the f***ing front cover

2002 7.3 CCSB
4" Exhaust, k&n intake, Wicked Wheel, Big Boost, Glowshift Gauges

2005 F250 King Ranch 6.0 CCSB
5" Exhaust, S&B Intake, Edge CTS2, Studded, EGR Deleted, Driven Diesel RR, BD Diesel TC, BPD Remote Oil Cooler, Mishimoto radiator, 7.3 Fan clutch, s363/68 .83 Non-VGT Turbo, T4 setup, Tuned by Prospect Diesel Performance


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blake Williford is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome