SCT Livewire, Worth It? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PA 6.0 PS

SCT Livewire, Worth It?

Is the SCT Livewire or their new touch screen addtion worth the money? Anyone have either one that could give me some feedback? I currently have the SCT X3 with Custom Tunes, but it is abit frustrating when I cannot change the tunes on the fly. I guess it could be because I got accustomed to the EDGE, nevertheless, let me know what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Proud Sponsor

Re: SCT Livewire, Worth It?

neither the Livewire nor the TSX (touchscreen) will allow you to change tunes on the fly. And IMO I hate the Livewire, but we have a TSX that we are playing with now and I have another customer with one and he loves it.

Adam Brannan
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
PA 6.0 PS

So what in your IMO, other than screen options and visual, is there any advantages to the X3 since I already have Pyro, Boost, & Trans guages?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Proud Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawSmoke View Post
So what in your IMO, other than screen options and visual, is there any advantages to the X3 since I already have Pyro, Boost, & Trans guages?
that's the only real advantage, it has a nice screen, and its blue-tooth. If you already have an X3 and gauges, spend your money elsewhere.

Adam Brannan
Email

Phone (904)-813-5067

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@stealth-automotive

im going to have to agree.. i really dont like the LW... my vote is for a custom tuned X3 and a set of gauges or the edge insight

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:48 AM
PSN Veteran

I have a LW for my truck and a X3 for my ol' lady's Escape. If I had a X3 on my truck the first thing I'd do is sell it and buy a LW In my experience the X3 is slower than the LW when it comes to tuning. Plus the LW does have some PIDs you can monitor plus the way it's shaped you can put it in multiple places unlike the big and awkward X3....I'd get a used Xcal2 before an X3 and save the extra money. The only reason I got the X3 for her in the first place is because it was a packaged deal with a company for a new Spearco and the new X3 for $1350 total shipped Had it not been basically free she would've gotten a Xcal2.
Sorry, I don't go all fancy for the TSX- IMHO what's the big friggin deal of having a wireless tuner if you have to be right there to turn the key on and off- if you have to be there anyways might as wells plug something up to the OBDII and save the extra $400-$500 But to each their own I reckon

Current- 2006 Harley Davidson Edition F250 6.0L w/a "BUILT" engine, Unfortunately mis-assembled and installed by CenTex Diesel and a NAPD Heavy Hauler RACE SERIES Transmission

Previous- 2001 Platinum Edition F250 7.3L
SCT LW and FICM tuning-

Regulated Return fuel kits-

ENOUGH SAID
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Proud Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyEdition78412 View Post
Plus the LW does have some PIDs you can monitor plus the way it's shaped you can put it in multiple places unlike the big and awkward X3....
WTH are you trying to do with an X3 HANDHELD programmer,mount it on the dash?

its handheld, meaning you hold in your hand to tune the truck and then put in in your glovebox when you are done.. maybe the escape just has a really small glovebox or something..

FWIW the X3 isnt any slower then the Livewire and the X3 isn't anymore awkwardly shaped then the Livewire, unless of course you are trying to mount it on the dash or windshield

Adam Brannan
Email

Phone (904)-813-5067

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
WTH are you trying to do with an X3 HANDHELD programmer,mount it on the dash?

its handheld, meaning you hold in your hand to tune the truck and then put in in your glovebox when you are done.. maybe the escape just has a really small glovebox or something..

FWIW the X3 isnt any slower then the Livewire and the X3 isn't anymore awkwardly shaped then the Livewire, unless of course you are trying to mount it on the dash or windshield
They are limited by the speed of the databus and the size of the file in the vehicle. The Escape uses a larger file size about 1.43Mb IIRC compared to an 05 up truck with 896k. So its transfering more data to the Escape.

Just another Apples to Oranges comparison. They are both built around the same software anyways.

Email:

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Proud Sponsor

Similar to the 03-04 6.0's. taking 4-5 mins to upload and the 05^taking 1-1.5mins nothing to do with the actual tuner its the truck and computer.

Adam Brannan
Email

Phone (904)-813-5067

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Leakin and Smokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
that's the only real advantage, it has a nice screen, and its blue-tooth. If you already have an X3 and gauges, spend your money elsewhere.
I have neither, so.. Is this a better alternative to something like the Banks IQ or Edge offerings, since I would ONLY use them for monitoring. I don't care about switching tunes on the fly or anything. I just hate gauges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode