White smoke with the smell of diesel fuel - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
White smoke with the smell of diesel fuel

ok i need some help, i am at a complete loss and have been reading for days with no real answer.

i have an 04 with no major modifications, it has recently been bulletproofed with brand new heads and that is it. my truck has 193,xxx miles.

last week i threw an injector, #2 to be exact. i have pulled it replaced it, started it, then the #1 went out, i then replaced that one. BOTH INJECTORS CAME STRAIGHT FROM FORD, NO REMAN INJECTORS.

now after replacing the #1 it is throwing a cylinder imbalance #2 again (p0266). and i cannot figure out why. the motor when running has a slight rough idle and rolls white smoke that smells like diesel fuel. no sweet smell like coolant and no blue tint like oil. i tried to compression test the motor but the kit i bought doesn't have a fitting for the motor.

FICM HAS BEEN TESTED and i am putting out 50 volts at all times. the lowest it got was 48v during cranking.

i have seen that the 04 had injector harness issues due to how it was routed, and i have poked around to see if that would make a worse idle or smooth it out. no such luck.

the only codes thrown is the p0266 and a few for glow plugs due to the modulator for them is bad on two unrelated cylinders....

any advice will be much appreciated!

2004 F-250 Lariat 6.0L, crew cab, 2006 motor swap, white w/ gray interior, SCT X4, 4'' down pipe with 5'' to a stack, 325/65-18 nitto terra grapplers, air rad intake, egr delete, studded and deleted, FASS System ([email protected]) with sump, 190/100% Swamps Diesel Injectors, atlas 80 PHP FICM, RCD rods, DDPM lifters, Turbo Lab of America turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: White smoke with the smell of diesel fuel

ok so i put an actual computer reader (Snap-On). come to find out, the FICM is at fault... even doing a bench test of it on the truck, you can still get a false positive. the FICM should base line at 48V but should continue to build to the actual injector, up to anywhere from 70 to 100V

2004 F-250 Lariat 6.0L, crew cab, 2006 motor swap, white w/ gray interior, SCT X4, 4'' down pipe with 5'' to a stack, 325/65-18 nitto terra grapplers, air rad intake, egr delete, studded and deleted, FASS System ([email protected]) with sump, 190/100% Swamps Diesel Injectors, atlas 80 PHP FICM, RCD rods, DDPM lifters, Turbo Lab of America turbo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode