6.0 braking problem NEED HELP! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 braking problem NEED HELP!

Ok everyone I've got an interesting one for you,
About 3 months ago I was playing around on some old logging roads getting the truck a little muddy when suddenly the brakes failed. Pedal would go completely to floor and barely stop the truck. After getting home and troubleshooting it, all signs pointed to master cylinder. I bought a brand new one from oreillys, came home bench bled it, installed it and everything worked fine! For about a week. This time I was going up a muddy hill and when I got to the top I had to hit my brakes hard enough that abs kicked in, next time I went to hit my brakes, nothing!! So off to oreillys again. They exchanged the master cylinder for another new one, everything worked fine again! For two days!!😡 This time I again was hard on the brakes while doing a smoke show, after I was done trying to kill my rear tires, next time I hit my brakes, NOTHING!! Back to oreillys another new master cylinder everything great again, two months goes by this time, and again on a back country road I decided it had been a while since I drove the truck hard, so foot on the brake, mash the throttle to the floor, tires start smoking, all is well....... until I go to stop and no brakes again!! WTF!! I'm going crazy! What would keep killing the master cylinder like this? I'm lost and have tried all I can think of. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 6.0 braking problem NEED HELP!

The other strange thing it does while this is happening is, if I hit the brakes hard I'll have pressure for about 3 seconds, then it feels like the brake pedal is going to kick back at me but instead falls fast to the floor, if I slowly press the brake pedal I never get any pressure and the pedal will go all the way down to the floor. But whenever I change the MC the brakes have awesome pressure, firm pedal, until I have to apply some extreme pressure, then it seems to blow the seals in the MC and cause an internal leak or something. 🤷🏻#♂️🤷🏻#♂️
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:23 PM
PSN Veteran

I am not going to take the bait about your driving habits, the O'Reilly's master cylinders, smoking the tires, etc.
As for your (main) problem, have you been losing fluid out of the MC when failure occurs? Have you seen fluid leaks from the calipers, lines or any of the connections? Is the MC the right one for your truck or one that the parts "genius" says will fit?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankcase View Post
I am not going to take the bait about your driving habits, the O'Reilly's master cylinders, smoking the tires, etc.
As for your (main) problem, have you been losing fluid out of the MC when failure occurs? Have you seen fluid leaks from the calipers, lines or any of the connections? Is the MC the right one for your truck or one that the parts "genius" says will fit?
I double checked the part number with the ones they gave me online and all seem to match. I know I'm pretty hard on the truck, I'm not trying to bait anyone on my driving habits, I'm just trying to be as thorough in my explanation of what's going on as possible.
The only thing I'm not sure about is how that rabs works. It does seem to lose pressure to the back when the MC fails🤔 I've checked for leaks everywhere and see nothing! The brake fluid level stays exactly the same! There's no fluid on the floorboard by the brake pedal. It's just got me to the point if I had anymore hair I'd be ripping it out😩😩
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:01 PM
PSN Veteran

When you pull out the defective MC again, put it in your vice, plug up the line outlets with either plugs or a U shaped piece of line, fill the MC with fluid, cap everything tight and push the plunger in. If it slides in easily, your cups/seals are shot and it is just "wading" in fluid in the reservoir. If it operates with extreme resistance, then your problem is somewhere else like a proportioning valve.
Either way, I would buy a name brand, top quality MC instead of those at O'Reilly's.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankcase View Post
When you pull out the defective MC again, put it in your vice, plug up the line outlets with either plugs or a U shaped piece of line, fill the MC with fluid, cap everything tight and push the plunger in. If it slides in easily, your cups/seals are shot and it is just "wading" in fluid in the reservoir. If it operates with extreme resistance, then your problem is somewhere else like a proportioning valve.
Either way, I would buy a name brand, top quality MC instead of those at O'Reilly's.
I did pull the MC out and just checked it full of fluid, cap on, lines plugged, and it has hardly any resistance. I figured that would be the case, I guess my question isn't really why don't I have brakes, more along the how does this keep happening. It's been the MC every time, is there something on these trucks that would allow a rush of fluid or pressure back into the MC that would cause the seals to fail? I think I read somewhere that in some situations the rabs will release pressure from the rear brakes, where does that pressure go?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:49 PM
PSN Veteran

I think you had a MC go bad first and then kept replacing it with inferior products.
Again, I would spend the bucks for a top-quality name-brand MC and be done with it.
Kind of like replacing your injectors with a certain brand "remanufactured" ones and, after they always fail, finally (after spending a fortune on labor, buy new ones that are top-quality.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I think you're probably right, I was just hoping possibly someone out there had a similar situation happen. You'd think when it comes to anything with a brake system they would use extremely high quality parts, considering people's lives are at risk. Yes, I was trying to save some money, but when you buy one that is brand new and not a reman I think it should be made a little better than this. Thanks for the help buddy! If anyone has any other advice please chime in, otherwise don't buy master cylinders from oreillys. They suck!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:52 PM
PSN Veteran

One more idea. Before the original MC shot craps on you, did you have any brake work done or any possible way that the fluid was contaminated? I would check and make sure the fluid is fresh, clean and is compatible with the MC. I remember a friend of mine bought a new Harley and a year later needed to add some brake fluid. He used DOT 4 and Harley's use DOT 5. After a week the seals in his calipers and master cylinder deteriorated.
Just trying to think I outside the box for you here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode