Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Review - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Review

I'm writing this after almost 7 hours of installing this damn system on my back on a gravelly driveway (it's concrete, but there were a lot of small rocks from the concrete breaking up due to the winter temps), and I'm going to give this my best shot at ignoring the pain and fatigue. lol

I had been fiddling with the idea of installing an exhaust on my Excursion for a while, and while I didn't want to go cheap, I also didn't want to do super expensive. I decided on a Diamond Eye aluminized kit, but was eyeballing the 4" stainless because, well, it's stainless! Was looking at 4" because everyone has said you don't need 5" unless you have a lot of power or just like the sound. Then I saw the price difference, and I decided to get the 5" simply because it was only $30 bucks more. I will say this...for sound, it was probably worth it. For ease of installation? Well, that's yet to come.

It was packaged well and was heavy as ####. Poor girlfriend came home to see this huge box sitting in front of the door, so she tried to move it. No go. She had to go in though the garage. lol Inside was everything you could ever need. In fact, it was like it was a kit designed as a catch-all, which I don't particularly like. My meaning is that it had adapters for 3 1/2 to 4 and 3 1/2 to 5, along with the coinciding clamps. I can see having these for kits which are cat back, or cat-delete back, so the 5" can fit the stock pipes up front, but I ordered a turbo back. It should only come with what was needed for my install. Well, at least it wasn't short any parts.

Quality was excellent. Perfect bends all over. Not a single dent on any of the bends. Speaking of dents, there was one dent in the 4" down pipe, which is intended for clearance, so that was a good thing. All of the cuts were straight and didn't have razor sharp edges. Fitment between pipes was snug...and twice it was TOO snug, but I guess that's better than loose. Even the welds on the hanger clamps were excellent. Muffler was polished, though I don't know why. No one can see it, and it's going to be dirty after the first drive.

So why did it take me 7 hours when you see everyone say it should only take about 3-4? Well, part of the problem was cutting the old pipes. I think Ford made them out of adamantium (Wolverine's claws for those who don't geek), because I went through three blades on a sawzall, and one blade on a dremel vibratory cutter. Holy #### they were hard cutting bitches!! The second reason is because it took me well over an hour just to align the muffler and two tail pipe pieces. Then, after I installed the center pipe, I realized something was amiss....

When I took off the original muffler, it had three hangers; one in the front and two in the back, one on each side. So, having seen that, I used the corresponding T style hanger they included. It fit, but was so short that every time I would move the new muffler, one of the two sides would fall out, causing me to restart. And when I would try to install one of the tail pipes, again it would fall out. I think I even tried summoning a demon to hold it for me. Bastard never showed up. So, back to the something being amiss part. Since I could tell it wasn't going to be right, I took it all apart. Once again, I looked at everything and it all looked right. I, of course, ignored the "extra" parts, because I didn't need them. BTW, this kit is for any length/cab combo and comes with an extra pipe, extra everything. lol Well, maybe I should have looked at one of those extra hangers closer. It looked like it might be long enough to fit in place of that T hanger. Sure enough, it did, and it kept the muffler right where it should be. *sigh* The instructions were rather vague.

After I figured that out, it didn't go so bad. VERY tight fit with the 4" down pipe. I had to wedge something between it and the spring hanger until everything was tight, and then it stayed where I wanted it. Tightening the lower down pipe to the upper down pipe was a pain. Almost no room to work. As for their instructions to measure the middle pipe, add five inches, and then cut....PFFT!!!! I just slid the mid pipe down the down pipe far enough until I could put it in the muffler. There is a 4" to 5" adapter needed anyway, so I just wound up with about 18" of 4" pipe inside the 5" pipe. Was a lot easier than trying to cut more pipe.

Now then....after I purchased this, I noticed Diamond Eye sells a kit specifically for the Excursion, and none of them come in 5". I now know why. With the Ex being 2-3" lower than the F-250, that does not leave a lot of room for the massive 5" pipe above the axle. Also, with a 44 gallon tank where the Superduty's spare tire is, there is very minimal clearance there as well!! So let me say this: If you're considering a 5" exhaust for an Excursion, be prepared for a LOT of adjusting, tweaking, griping, cuts, scratches, bruises, and more. Getting those damn pipes to fit in the back was no easy feat, and I'm pretty sure I broke a few laws of physics to do it. Of course the good news is now I have an excuse to get the V/B spring swap done! lol

Another thought: I said earlier that some of the joints were a little too snug. One of them was the first tail pipe to muffler junction. Nothing I did allowed me to turn that damn pipe. I happened to have a strap wrench, so I figured I would try that. Worked like a champ!! So keep this in mind when you do yours.

As for sound, I couldn't be happier. It's a little more whistley, has that "breathy" sound at idle and while under light load. When I accelerate hard, it has a NICE growl to it. Tomorrow (today?) I've got to do some more adjusting, because something is rattling at idle in the back. Probably the damn tail pipe didn't get aligned perfectly. grrrrrr

Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome. I do wish they would have been a little less vague in their instructions, and hadn't included extra crap which set me back quite a bit. Also, if they made a kit for short beds, long beds, etc, they might be able to lower prices because they wouldn't be sending out a one size fits all. As it stands, I have a four foot length of pipe, two size adapters, five clamps, and a two hanger clamps for which I have no use. *shrug* It's a good value for the price, though, and I enjoy a challenge. And now, time for bed. I shall post pics when I have some daylight to take them. lol
410customs likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Review

Thanks for the wonderful write up! I will pickup a strap wrench as mine are both broken (cheapo harbor freight)
I just ordered a 4" kit for my 350 so your timing is perfect.

Glad you got it installed, also glad our excursion came with a 4" exhaust! HAHAHAHAHA one less thing I have to battle.
When you get healed and some daylight lets see some pics!!

Congrats, you did it!
I for one do not mind extra parts, around here they may just get used!
I swear I'm gonna start a business that does nothing but make better instructions for installation kits for companies. All these companies make amazing products and then their instructions are barely legible poor copies that rarely make sense!!

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
21.9 liter family
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:43 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

INSTRUCTIONS UNCLEAR! STOP THE MADNESS!

Thatchevyguy and Bksrt8 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:46 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Bksrt8 likes this.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:47 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Rolfsted, Thatchevyguy and Bksrt8 like this.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:54 PM
PSN Veteran

clear as mudd!! LMFAO

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at

2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
21.9 liter family
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:43 PM
PSN Local

Oh god and I just ordered something from Hong Kong

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

What a 4" would have looked like by comparison.

Leftovers....plus a 4 foot piece of straight 5"

This is the kind of clearance I had with the gas tank....the other side was the same next to the shock.

Couldn't get a good shot of the down-pipe, but trust me when I say it was a tight fit.

And finally, a sound clip. Not quite as throaty as it is in reality because the mic on the phone limits the bass. And when it has a load while accelerating, it's oh so sweet sounding!!

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:15 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Man it sounds good for a 6.0l But I'll stick to my 7.3l to many nightmares of head work on E450 6.0l ambulances. Can't pull the cab and to expensive to pull the motor.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:11 PM
PSN Veteran

man that is a tight fit!! Excursion need lift
Thanks for the pics

Our ex also has a 5" kit on it, came to us that way. I have not had a chance to spend much time under it....yet!

21.9 liter family

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode