External Oil Cooler Setup Pics/info LONG - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

External Oil Cooler Setup Pics/info LONG

Ok, here we go:

#1.) The oil cooler needs to be machined, I can talk until I'm blue in the face and send you 1000's of drawings and you still won't understand. There are a couple of guys that can machine the coolers close to me though other than that I don't know??

More or less; the oil cooler "brick" underneath where all of the coolant/oil flows on the OEM setup is more or less cut out and a bypass pipe welded in place. Then two 1/2" pipes come out of the top of the oil cooler. One in and one out. Doesn't matter which is which! Next, you MUST HAVE A THERMOSTAT the ones I've been using are a dirt track racing style that flow 10% minimum @ cold starts then they slowly open to 100%. I dissamble them and cut 1/2 of a spring coil out of them to allow about 15% of the oil to flow through the cooler @ all times. THis seems to work very well. I use 1/2" Push Lok hose from Parker and keep the fittings to a minimum. @ the oil cooling radiator itself I install 2 shut off valves to stop flow @ the cooler JUST IN CASE a deer sticks an antler through it or something I KNOW I'll be able to get back home. ON the BOTTOM line I install a SECOND shutoff valve with the open side, (normally closed during operation), so that I can stick a piece of hose in there to drain the oil from the cooler when I do oil changes. Everything is 1/2" sized fittings, etc. Others use larger hose, don't see the need in it myself. The hose routing MUST be done in "sweeps" not bent around corners. You guys with the oil/fuel filter housing delete can put the T-stat right on the oil cooler itself. Your 1/2" hoses then get routed through the opening in the core support that the OEM small air intake tube went through. BE SURE to protect the sharp edges, it will CUT YOUR HOSE! I used that black foam pipe insulation that you put on reg. house plumbing pipe, get the 3/4" size instead of the 1/2". Then it runs out to the "oil cooling radiator". I use a Perma Cool coolers on the ones that I've done 10.5" X 15" X 1 1/2" thick. # is 12315 I believe thorugh Summit racing. then you can either put in an adjustble electric fan control from Painless, best I've found anyway. And, that may be your best bet because of being in different regions,etc. You can "dial" it in to whatever works for you. OR you can get an inline on/off fan control in varying temp settings. 190F on and 180 F off works for us but, the adjustable control is good as well.

I have to work VERY HARD to see 210F temps in my Engine oil, even with 20k pounds with the goosneck behind me!

I wasn't going to spend the money on one of the High$ ones either, this has worked for me and I will be glad to help you out and send more pics,etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSNoilcool 001.jpg (739.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg PSNoilcool 003.jpg (776.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg PSNoilcool 009.jpg (793.2 KB, 167 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Hauler!

Re: External Oil Cooler Setup Pics/info LONG

So...you going to start making and selling them as kits or what?

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
PSN Mega Miler

You do realise that if the oil never reaches 212 that condensation is never removed from the oil and this water can form foam and or stay suspended in your oil thus harming bearings and being deposited in areas that are not ideal for a long life for your motor?

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
You do realise that if the oil never reaches 212 that condensation is never removed from the oil and this water can form foam and or stay suspended in your oil thus harming bearings and being deposited in areas that are not ideal for a long life for your motor?

i guess i'm f^(Ked then cause my oil never gets over 170, come to think about it dodges, chevs, and other manufacturers oil temps dont come over 170-180 either

2006 F-350 crew cab dually 4X4
225cc injectors, CRD twin turbo's
Fueled by Gibson's

2003 F-350 crew cab
[email protected]

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck6.0L View Post
i guess i'm f^(Ked then cause my oil never gets over 170, come to think about it dodges, chevs, and other manufacturers oil temps dont come over 170-180 either
Actually all the factory systems I found are designed to peak over 212 for a short period of time after the initial starting of the motor. I first ran into this on my corvette. I was going to set it up to run cooler and after researching I found out that wasnt such a hot idea.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 PM
PSN Veteran

This is good info...at least if a fella has a bad oil cooler, they could send it away to be machined into a bypass style type.

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokinc View Post
So...you going to start making and selling them as kits or what?
I'm still kicking it around
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Where do we monitor oil temp at? Myself- at the front of the oil cooler using the oem test port.

I cannot control oil temp elsewhere in the engine which I'm sure gets above 212F. I CANNOT record EOT all the way through it's passages/paths, etc. so either way..... You may be correct and I'm going to screw up all EIGHT OF MY 6.0's!! I own my own business and have had every problem u can imagine and this oil cooler just elimated a couple of them for me.

After talking with a Ford Eng. and several other people the test port seemed to be the place to take the EOT reading from so that's what I did and that's where ALL of mine are at!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
On top of all of that, my engine oil analysis has NEVER shown a "water" problem other than head gasket issues!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Looks like a pretty well thought out setup. Good work.

2005 F350 Crewcab 4x4 6.0L
64mm turbo, NADP race tranny, tuning by Eric at Innovative Diesel

2004 F250 4x4 6.0L
Work in progress.......
EDE heads, cam, pistons, hybrid injectors, Hypermax rods,
2 really big turbos and a whole bunch of other crap to come.....
Tuning by Innovative of course!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode