EGT's Curious to know - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

EGT's Curious to know

Well, was on the freeway and rolled into it with erics aggressive street. Truck took off but my temps got close to 1400 degrees. Didn't climb fast but was climbong slow. So my question is, what will the non vgt II 62/70 handle for a semi safe egt. I know its more than a vgt....... what temp should I be concerned at. I can use meth and water to cool a tad

05 LLY DMAX, EFI, AIR, FUEL, BUILT TRANS, TRACTION AND MORE!! POWERSTROKE SLEEPER SLAYER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Re: EGT's Curious to know

I run Eric's tunes and pull some fair weight behind me and I have NEVER seen 1400
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

you running injectors like me

05 LLY DMAX, EFI, AIR, FUEL, BUILT TRANS, TRACTION AND MORE!! POWERSTROKE SLEEPER SLAYER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM
NHRDA Diesel TV Host

1350 is typically you're safe limit.

'04 F350. Typical Mods with tuning by Tadd and Eric and Matt.
'06 VW Jetta TDI. Stock. 42mpg

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but Fords with big turbos excite me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenThree View Post
People think I like girls because guys worth my time are as easy to find as crew cab powerstrokes in the 11's.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks..

any reason why the temps are creaping up close to 1400 with the aggressive street. could it be a tuning thing or is the turbo just not going to cool it. Hmm....

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Its a wild ride...

190's are still a lot of fuel for a 62/70. I don't know how hard they are working on your agg. street tune, but I would guess theres a lot more room in them to fuel harder on a race file. I personally wouldn't worry about 1400*, or even 15-1600* for short bursts such as a quarter mile run. If it's not to your liking you can always have Eric pull some fuel out of your tunes up top.

Kurt

2006 True Blue/Silver F250 Crew cab
Just the normal bolt ons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
Rule number 1 in owning a 6.0: DON'T HALF ASS ANYTHING!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Kurt, thanks... I was thinking short burst are ok... temps cruising at 70mph are no higher than 800. Think an .80 housing would work for me. I love this turbo and lag is all most like the II vgt stage 2 I had. Erics got this dialed in right. Have not ran the extreme race yet, but will soon. And when she lites, it makes power

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Sponsor

You have to remember that the EGT's are a transient temperature. That means the temperature of the air as it passes the probe. The Metal that is down stream does not get that hot for a very long time. Think of a torch to metal, or running your finger through a lighters flame real quickly. Its diesel fuel, not MAP gas. It takes a while for the temps of the metal to reach that of the air. My truck sees 1400 degrees for short burst nearly every day. I towed to San Diego and back and was at 1150 degrees for 2600 miles. Unless you are pulling a long grade, or running at 140MPH for an extended period of time, you are not going to hurt it with a quick blast to 100MPH.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln1 View Post
you running injectors like me
No sir I'm not running that large of an injector. I apolgize, I have the "signatures" turned off to speed my old arss computer. So, I didn't see that you had those injectors I'll turn the option back on now.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
PSN Veteran

1400 is nothin man. dont worry about it as long as your not holding it for an extended period of time. i see 1600 everyday so its not a big deal.

06 crew cab
06 reg cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode