Timing.... How Much timing advance = RIGHT - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Question Timing.... How Much timing advance = RIGHT

I have a LOT of different tunes from different vendors.

With stock bolts some would push coolant some would not. Some max timing is 6* at 4K RPMS some go to 12* or more and pushed coolant.

I want to know what is the best safe amount of timing to make big HP. Timing should always go up with RPM's. High timing at 2500-3000 is not a good thing. To much timing at 2000RPM's will loose TQ.

The reason for asking is because I have a tune that runs 12-13* of timing and it pushed a few drops of coolant out after studs.

I think most 6L problems are from spiked CP problems. I can run a max performance tune with 6* timing hard all day and never even get any pressure in the degas bottle.

How much HP is gained from 6* up to 12* at 4000RPM's?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Re: Timing.... How Much timing advance = RIGHT

One more ? how much timing does it take to spray outside the bowl?

When timing is this far advanced I don't see how any HG could hold the amount of CP it would create.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:44 PM
PSN Veteran

If you have don't care about blowing it up and power is you only goal then go for 25 or so.

Jeremy Johnson
Search "lubeowner" on youtube for many truck pulling videos.
dieseldr.net
We build Powerstroke pulling trucks.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Damn, where is charles when we need him??

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

By the spray pattern on some pistons I think the actual timing the motor is getting is higher than comanded. I am not 100% sure on this but I am thinking down these lines. Most 6.0's are different and I am not sure what the map recal is all about. I do know it affects timing.

This is why I belive the 6.0 has so many hg problems.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
PSN Newb

i was under the impression that about 8 is the max before cylinder pressures start to rapidly climb. i asked for all my tunes to have no more than that but most of mine have 6.

2003 CC F350, ARP'S, HOMEMADE EGR DELETE, 4.5" ICON LIFT, MBRP, ZOODADED, NEW FUEL SYSTEM SOON, 05 FRONT END, AND A SLEW OF OTHER STUFF

TUNED BY DJ, ERIC, AND CALE
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Timing isn't the only thing that comes into play,icp tables,fueling tables all come into play. 12 degs isn't on the high side of things. Do you have stock injectors.

2006 F-350 crew cab dually 4X4
225cc injectors, CRD twin turbo's
Fueled by Gibson's

2003 F-350 crew cab
[email protected]

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck6.0L View Post
Timing isn't the only thing that comes into play,icp tables,fueling tables all come into play. 12 degs isn't on the high side of things. Do you have stock injectors.
The tune that gave me trouble was from Elite diesel. There hottest sledpulling tune.

Yea I still got stock injectors. I had the degas bottle about topped off and it put out just a lil bit, just enough so i could see one run on the degas bottle.

It gets no PSI in the degas bottle with tunes running under 10* of timing.

I am planning on 225CC injectors and a 66MM charger. Wonder how it will do with 6* timing on the top end?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 01:49 AM
PSN Veteran

believe me i have tested first hand. you do not need more than 12 degrees of timing EVER. my truck when stock would puke like a girl on prom night with elites tunes but would not puke a drop all day on spartans ultra comp with half the timing and ran stronger IMO so now with all my mods i run around 11 degrees of timing tops. so whoever you buy the parts from have them tune it because they now how to make it work properly. I am running 225s and a 66/74 and i have never puked a drop since i studded it even with spray.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Where are you getting these numbers from? Take in to account timing isnt hte only factor in cp's. boost, backpressure etc play a part.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode