Overheating and lost - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Overheating and lost

I am lost. Cant seem to figure it out. My truck still overheats while towing my trailer. (16k lbs) It is an 05. Headgaskets and studs put in 3yrs ago. Oil cooler has been replaced. Fan clutch replaced. EGR cooler upgraded (under warrany) with Neal Technologies cooler. EOT/ECT are within 10degrees of each other. Runs great with no trailer even with ID Extreme Street. Only pukes with trailer attached. Thermostat replaced and waterpump inspected and seems to be fine. My ECT/EOT seems to hover around 200-210* on my autometer gauges. Took a tech for test drive and his laptop says my gauges are off by almost 10*. Does this sound like HG's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
PSN Local

Re: Overheating and lost

What grille do you have? I just replaced the grille on my excursion with a billet. After the change, I've noticed oil and coolant temps run about 10 degrees hotter. This is unloaded, highway cruising. Anybody want a slightly used billet grille?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Do either of you have the ZOODAD mod?

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker67 View Post
Yep! The billet grille looks good, just too restictive.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I used to have a billet grille. Took it off to see if that would help. Still overheats. I never had this problem before with the billet grille.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:35 AM
PSN Local

A few things to check. First, you said the fan clutch was replaced, but does the fan engage? Second, check the front of the radiator for any trash, weeds, anything else that might restrict airflow. Are you sure the cooling system holds pressure? Double check the cap and degas bottle, make sure there aren't any nicks where it won't seal, or cracks in the degas bottle. Then if you don't have the ability to check the pressure of the coolant system when it does this, I'd try a new cap. Do you ever hear it "whistle" when it vents? Are you overfilling the cooling system? Does it overheat on the gauge, or does it puke the coolant out the degas?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

New fan clutch does ingage. Front of radiator seems to be clean. I am pretty sure the cooling system holds pressure. When I open the cap, I can hear the pressure release but I am not sure if it is up to standards. The tech seems to think so. I am not overfilling the overflow. I never really noticed the whistle. I know it is overheating because I can see it on my aftermarket gauges and when it gets up to 240*, I see the factory gauge start to climb.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:45 AM
PSN Local

What tune are you pulling the trailer with? Are you monitoring the EGT's? What is done for exhaust, still running the stock cat?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay03GT View Post
What tune are you pulling the trailer with? Are you monitoring the EGT's? What is done for exhaust, still running the stock cat?
I pull the trailer with a John Wood tranny only tune that also shuts the egr valve off. I watch the EGT's and always stay below 1250. I have a Corsa 4" cat-back with a 3.5" MBRP downpipe. The cat is still intact.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 PM
id: 5520

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think of the ZOODAD mod? I'm thinking of doing it but some guys say it's worthless..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode