My EGR cooler solution - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

My EGR cooler solution

I have an 03 with 96k miles. As far as I know, the cooler is just fine. But I'd like to, at the minimum, block the gases. I've read up on this and the simplest way to fix the EGR problem is to just put a block plate between the cooler and the up-pipe correct? Then I can just clean out the EGR valve, leave it there, and let it do it's thing without getting CEL's?

1. Does anyone have the dimensions for the block plate? Radius and thickness?

2. How is the installation of it done? Does anything major, like the intake manifold, or turbo, need to be removed? Do you get to it from under the truck or over and behind the engine?

2003 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab FX4 6.0L
Purchased 9-10-09
Stolen 12-3-10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Proud Sponsor

Re: My EGR cooler solution

We offer full delete kits and solid up pipes to block off exhaust gases.

Up Pipe: First Coast Diesel Performance -Solid Up Pipe- Your Source For Powerstroke Performance

Full delete kit: First Coast Diesel Performance -Full EGR Delete Kit- Your Source For Powerstroke Performance

Adam Brannan
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks, but doing it my way is free. lol I don't have $500 right now, and I really want to do the preventative maintenance.

Purchased 9-10-09
Stolen 12-3-10

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Hate 'R Us

I'm pretty sure the cooler can still crack or fail even with it being blocked off.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I don't think it will with no gases running through it. However, if the cooler is blocked off on both ends, then it won't matter. The coolant veins may burst and fill the tank with coolant, but it won't enter the motor or exhaust.

Purchased 9-10-09
Stolen 12-3-10
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 AM
PSN Local

i did the crack pipe mod. but it gets rid of the cooler. don't know what emission testing is like in your state. picture i used for reference. do a search on other ford truck forums and you will find more info if interested. course you need or need to know someone who can weld.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipe1.jpg (50.2 KB, 44 views)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:28 AM
PSN Veteran

elite has the blocker plate its like 30 bucks

'09 F350

-JD
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Everybody poops <~ see?

Send a message via MSN to dennisr_f350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-KR View Post
I don't think it will with no gases running through it. However, if the cooler is blocked off on both ends, then it won't matter. The coolant veins may burst and fill the tank with coolant, but it won't enter the motor or exhaust.
It'll just be contaminated with hundreds of tinfoil like cooler fins, no biggie...

F350 SuperDuty
Some air
Some fuel
Some grip
Some guages
The usual suspects.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

^^^ ""Contaminated?" As in you think all the fins are going to break off (without the exhaust heat being there), then travel back through a pinhole into the coolant system? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgleason View Post
elite has the blocker plate its like 30 bucks
Thanks. I saw the plate, but I would need two for both ends of the tank. I know I seem like a cheapass, but $50 for two discs that can be made for free in my garage..... I just need to know the size of the discs.
Worst case, I'll have to pull out the cooler and size it myself THEN do the work to make them. I just didn't want the extra downtime.

Purchased 9-10-09
Stolen 12-3-10
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM
PSN Veteran

I know you said you dont want to do a full EGR delete right now, but do yourself a favor and do it right the first time. FULL EGR DELETE from FCDP FTW

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode