Torque angle vs. Torque Ft. LBS. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Torque angle vs. Torque Ft. LBS.

When everyone is studding , what are you doing are you using the stock torque angle method or torquing to ft.lbs?

Has anyone ever checked a stock torque angle to see what it actually is in ft. lbs? If so what was it?

Just thinking about reasons to stop the blown HG's from the stand point thinking that the ARP torque could be flexing the head and/or gasket at the stud and maybe less torque could be the answer to not flexing the head but also has to be enough to hold up to the CP's and not lift the head.......just clamp it enough that it is FLAT and true.

Discuss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 12:51 AM
PSN Local

Re: Torque angle vs. Torque Ft. LBS.

Last time I stuck a torque wrench on a stock head bolt I think I got around 200-210ftlbs. The problem with the TTY head bolts is they will continue to stretch if cylinder pressure is high enough.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:12 AM
PSN Local

taking a tq reading off a stock head bolt may not be accurate since they are tq to yield. With that said on new installed stock bolts i have found around 245 so same as arps. Also take into account that not all tq wrenches read the same accuracy, etc.

Anyway as for head studs i would also question how many retourque thier head studs.

I will tell you my scenario. I tourqued my head studs to 260 ft.lbs. however that was at the limit of my tq wrench so that is not the most accurate area of a tq wrench. I double checked it with another tq wrench. I ran a heat cycle and rechecked = no movement.

I then used my truck, towing , etc. I do not race my truck or run any hi power tune or anything like that, but like i said i do tow.

Anyway jump to nearly a year later, i filled up at a local fuel station and they had made a goof and had gas in their diesel and diesel in their gas. (delivery truck got it bassakwards)

So the result was 8 new injectors and retourquing of the head studs while i was in there. This time i tq my studs to 245 using the same tq wrench and guess what, some of them moved and were undertorqued.

Now sure i guess some could say me overtourquing stretched them, but an extra 15 lbs is nothing considering a tq wrench is not even that accurate at that tq, aswell if arp's can't take a little extra then whats the point.

Bottom line is my head studs required a retourque after i worked the engine. (which is why ford and other manufacures went to a tq to yield bolt in the first place)

BTW my truck does not puke a bit with studs, but no racing just towing continous loads for a few hours at a time. So at this point i feel a retourque of head studs is required, but thats just me.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

My main question was for useing the stock type ANGLE torque which is not a ft.lb measurement, it would be say 50ft. lbs. 1st pass and second would be 360* more than the 1st and the final pass would be 90* more than the 2nd.

I wanted to know if anyone has checked what that actually comes up to ft. lbs.

That is interesting about the studs being loose after a 1yr of running.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM
PSN Local

I would follow the manufacturers torque recomendation on this. ARP's are not a TTY design.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay03GT View Post
I would follow the manufacturers torque recomendation on this. ARP's are not a TTY design.
done that twice already.........still blown......looking for a change.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo99 View Post
done that twice already.........still blown......looking for a change.

Go with h-11's

99.5 F-250 7.3 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

we are pretty sure that the torque for the studs is flexing the head. The studs ARE NOT stretched the y have been checked. The studs are holding the ....on most application inbetween the studs dead center is where they leak which indicates the studs holding and the head flexing.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:01 PM
PSN Local

What is done to your truck? I assume you have put a straight edge on the heads and the block. IMO torquing the head studs less isn't gonna keep from blowing headgaskets, you have something else going on or are exceeding the limit of what the studs can take. What headgaskets are you using?
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Just weld a bead around the outside of the heads between the block and head...that oughta do the trick!

but really, hope you get it figured out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode