EGR cooler delete installed, now less boost? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

EGR cooler delete installed, now less boost?

i had arp head studs and a liberator egr cooler delete installed when i got my head gaskets replaced, now my truck will only boost to 25psi, before i could get 30psi. any ideas?

2007 F-350 6.0L lariat outlaw
4'' turbo back mbrp
afe stage 2si intake
edge evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 AM
PSN Local

Re: EGR cooler delete installed, now less boost?

When the ECU can't see the EGR valve, the truck gets thrown into some sort of safemode (at least my 05 does). Don't ask me how but I'm sure someone will know.

My truck consistently hit 29psi but with the EGR cooler/valve gone it hits 20 to 22psi without a tune. With a tune I'm back up to 30psi.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Power Stroke Psychiatrist

do you hear an air rushing sound that didn't used to be there? How about an exhaust smell or smoke coming from the engine compartment? if so, you probably have the up pipe installed incorrectly, causing exhaust to escape and create less turbo drive pressure. limp mode could also be a possibility. do you have a check engine light on now? I'm assuming it wasn't on already. usually '05+ models freak out if the egr system isn't in tact unless you have a custom tune. Anyone who does custom tunes through sct should be able to cure this problem including the company I work for, Elite diesel engineering. good luck. I hope it's just a tuning issue.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
PSN Veteran

I never had any loss in boost with FCDP's kit after i installed it. Sounds like you installed something incorrectly or seeing in your sig that you have an 07 you should have a CEL that can only be turned off with a custom tune, i got my SCT with Erics tunes from Innovative, took care of my CEL.

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM
PSN Local

well, i have read some trucks do this and some that don't. has nothing to do with what EGR delete you install. mine boost to 22-23 after my delete. prior i would see 28-30. now, before the delete if i unplugged the EGR valve, i would see the 22-23 and have more low end boost. i currently run Erics extreme street (for stock head studs) and i can see 30 with converter locked on the interstate. course that is due to more load on the engine. anyways back to your situation, i would check for leaks then purchase some custom tunes to shut the valve down.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

Is there a way to reset this boost condition on a stock truck??

I have been trying to figure out for years why my truck as well as my dad's will only build 21psi in stock configuration. I have since put on an SCT and it runs great on the tuner so I haven't really bothered but its always bugged me.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:07 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Is there a way to reset this boost condition on a stock truck??

I have been trying to figure out for years why my truck as well as my dad's will only build 21psi in stock configuration. I have since put on an SCT and it runs great on the tuner so I haven't really bothered but its always bugged me.
same here, my truck runs great with the tuner. i got sick of looking for the answer. i did the VGT relearn and nothing.

jdc don't you run the extreme race tune? with the converter locked do you see more boost. i can get my truck to boost to 30 with more drive pressure.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

Quote:
Originally Posted by scameron View Post
same here, my truck runs great with the tuner. i got sick of looking for the answer. i did the VGT relearn and nothing.

jdc don't you run the extreme race tune? with the converter locked do you see more boost. i can get my truck to boost to 30 with more drive pressure.
Yup I can easily hit 30 if I roll into it in OD. I have tried to not do that though, since I have had some puking and figure its not gonna help the HG's or the turbo itself. I tap the break to unlock the converter now and hammer down, or watch the gauge and meter the boost myself.

I just recently put my truck back to stock and even after running the Xtreme race for the past 10k or more it will still only build 21psi in stock (and its such a dog compared to tuned) but all day long the race file will do 24psi WOT or lug it in OD and build 30psi.

My dad's 06 does the same 21psi, its done it since he bought it so he doesn't know any better even though I mentioned mine used to build 27-28 all day for the first 20k I owned it.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode