Oil pressure port - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Oil pressure port

Adding an oil temp gauge. Is there any reason why I can't just use the oil pressure test port on the oil cooler cover? If you can, is that port pre or post cooler? I suppose the factory oil temp sender is post cooler and I'd like it to match
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Oil pressure port

I dont see the point when there is an EOT from the factory that you can view with a scan gauge II. Whats your reasoning?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I lIke the look of gauges. They're bought. So they're not going back. Does anyone actually know the answer to my question? Wasn't really looking to get into the whole scan gauge argument. Also not interested in drilling and tapping a billet oil filter cap. I'm wondering why people don't use a port that's already there

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 12:32 PM
PSN Local

Good luck. You are plowing new ground. I don't know of anybody who has put in an oil temp gauge. The billet cap will not work or at least i doubt it will read the same as the oem sender (which must stay in place as the computer uses this data). The problem is the sender must be in the oil stream. So you can't even Tee the oem temp port as the sender would be outside the stream in a dead end... That is ok for pressure but not for temp (imho). If i remember correctly, there is a undrilled test port location on the oil cooler housing. This may be your best choice. To pull the whole cooler and take the cover to some body who can drill and tap it for the temp sender. Should be interesting, let us know how you make out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

If you put the new sender in the cap the stream through the filter is passing over it right?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:10 PM
PSN Local

Yea... It would work but i am not sure how much different (if any really) it would read then the actual oil temp coming out of the cooler. Probably no real difference. I like the billet caps ($75 on ebay) and use one on both my 6.0 and 6.4 for oil pressure reading. I guess he want's it nice and uncluttered under the hood and the cap means you have a sender and wire sticking up near the hood. Imho, oil pressure is so much more important then temp. At least the 6.0 must have a minimum oil flow to feed the HPOP and that feed is more then needed to save the bearings. The 6.4 has not HPOP so if the computer doesn't shut the engine down it will eat itself and all you need is 7psi to make the computer/gauge happy. Even at idle 7psi is not good enough (internationals min spec for the 6.0 is 12psi at 700rpm) no longer running down the road at speed (min spec 45psi at 1800rpm). luckily, my 6.0 runs great pressure, 90psi cold - ~24psi hot idle and 65 psi hot at highway speed... I know this is not the subject of this post but am trying to suggest an oil pressure gauge should also be installed.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

An oil gauge for the high pressure oil? The stock oil pressure gauge is low pressure oil right? I wanted to oil temp so that I can have gauges with oil temp and coolant next to each other to make sure the delta stays in check. And I'd like it to be as close as I can get it to the readings I normally have when I read them on the tuner. As far as clutter, the reason I'm interested in trying to use the oil pressure test port is to avoid the clutter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:00 AM
PSN Local

I think I'm going to add an oil pressure gauge this winter to my truck. While the truck is getting more goodies added to it!

*dd-play truck 2005 ccsb, custom painted with warren's 430/150s hybrids, custom Barder s475, warren's trans, custom fuel system, mpd up pipes and manifolds, and too much other stuff to name.

*tow pig-nice work truck 2008 ccsb afe intake, exhaust, gearhead tunes.

*Farm trucks 1997 rclb and 2001 ccsb 7.3s
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsteelerford05 View Post
I think I'm going to add an oil pressure gauge this winter to my truck. While the truck is getting more goodies added to it!
Get the aluminum billet cap from ebay. Super easy to do plus the cap looks nice under there. There is a open hole in the firewall with a piece of tap over it (used for the clutch on manual trucks - side note the hole is there on excursion even though it was never offered with a manual). I used this hole for my sender wire. Parking lights at switch for the gauge lights and wire from ignition switch for hot key on. Make sure to fuse everything (except for the sender). On my X I did oil pressure, battery volt and since i used an above the mirror mount i also had a third open mount (3-gauge mount was cheaper then a 2-gauge mount) so i put a clock in. Looks very nice. I used VDO gauges from Jegs and the mount was from ebay.

If you are gluten for punishment you can Tee the oem pressure switch and not use the cap. But you have to be sure to have the proper fittings. The oem switch and port on the oil cooler housing are O-ring sealing so the threads are straight cut not npt (taper threaded like a pipe ---- national pipe threads - npt). If you want to go this route. Search google. Somebody did the install and was nice enough to post the part necessary.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 AM
PSN Local

Thanks for the set up on the on how to set up an oil pressure gauge. I run 350/100s conventional injectors they are fun as hell to have and run but they are high maintenance. I run a duel hpop set up but I still want to know that those injectors are getting enough oil.

*dd-play truck 2005 ccsb, custom painted with warren's 430/150s hybrids, custom Barder s475, warren's trans, custom fuel system, mpd up pipes and manifolds, and too much other stuff to name.

*tow pig-nice work truck 2008 ccsb afe intake, exhaust, gearhead tunes.

*Farm trucks 1997 rclb and 2001 ccsb 7.3s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode