Lets talk torque converters - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage
Lets talk torque converters

So two days after the truck is back together and running perfect, I decide to roll into it getting on the freeway. Well apparently my stock TC didn't like that, and it slipped a little. Wasn't major, but it happened. I honestly think I've had an issue with this TC for a while now even back before the build. The way I see it,with the build I figure I'm somewhere in the 500hp range...could be a little less. Aftermarket converters start around $1000....I just put close to $7000 in this truck, so there is no way in hell the wife will go for another $1000 purchase!

My question, I guess, is how well does a healthy stock converter hold up to 500ish hp? If I replace it with a new stock converter, will it hold up fine unless I'm driving it hard all the time, or will it slip under a hard acceleration right from day one? Yea I know buying a new aftermarket one is the way to go, but that's not in the cards right now. I can always drop to a small tune and run this thing for a while, but if a new stocker will hold up I'll go that route.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Still learning

Send a message via Yahoo to TheFinalStroke
Re: Lets talk torque converters

This is just my personal experience. But my truck dyno'd at 590hp and the stock converter hasn't slipped the first time. and its got 145k miles on it.

'05, CC, SB, 4X4 6.0L, Studded, EGR Delete, Warren 175/50's, Garrett Powermax, S&B intake, MBRP 5" straight pipe, SCT w/custom tunes from Innovative. Dyno'd 590hp/1019tq<-----Moved on

'15, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7L........bone stock

Amateurs will practice until they get it right, Professionals will practice until they can't get it wrong.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Guilty on all counts

What does slipping feel like? Is it in the lower gears, all the gears, or only in overdrive? Mine does a funny thing in overdrive where it kind of delays it's final shift (t/c lockup?) or hesitates for a second before locking up. Once locked up, it seems fine. Is that slipping or something else? Most noticeable when towing.

2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3
2000 F350 4x4 CC SWB
1988 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 (can I squeeze a 7.3 under the hood?)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage

This was once it had shifted to OD, TC was locked. Was running maybe 60mph, and stood on it. Rpms went up like it downshifted, but it actually didn't.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 PM
PSN Veteran

The stock trans on these trucks are pretty stout. I'm up in the 600hp range and don't have any issues if you roll into the throttle. Mashing it that's when it slips. My buddy had a twinned 6oh dynod 587.. Doesn't slip unless hammered on it. I'd suggest just driving it as is until you can afford an aftermarket one.

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 PM
PSN Local

I wish I had that my luck with transmissions. My truck as of now is on its 3rd trans since the truck was made. First transmissom went out of it was at 60000 miles warranty cover that one. Then when I went bigger injectors and turbo I got the Trans built and that trans only lasted 8000 miles. Then this trans I am on now supposed to have the best parts the make for these trans. If this one acts up its gone and I will be considering all options then.

*dd-play truck 2005 ccsb, custom painted with warren's 430/150s hybrids, custom Barder s475, warren's trans, custom fuel system, mpd up pipes and manifolds, and too much other stuff to name.

*tow pig-nice work truck 2008 ccsb afe intake, exhaust, gearhead tunes.

*Farm trucks 1997 rclb and 2001 ccsb 7.3s
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Still learning

Send a message via Yahoo to TheFinalStroke

As far as upgraded TC's go BTS will deduct the price of the TC (if you buy theirs) if you later decide to buy a trans from them. I don't know what your plans are but it's good to know

'05, CC, SB, 4X4 6.0L, Studded, EGR Delete, Warren 175/50's, Garrett Powermax, S&B intake, MBRP 5" straight pipe, SCT w/custom tunes from Innovative. Dyno'd 590hp/1019tq<-----Moved on

'15, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7L........bone stock

Amateurs will practice until they get it right, Professionals will practice until they can't get it wrong.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 09:20 PM
PSN Newb

I just put in a Precision Industries Stallion torque converter and couldn't be happier and with a 5 year warranty I have no worries!

2000 F-250 38R with wicked wheel 2 and Turbo Master, Irate R/R, FASS 125 Titanium with sump, Swamps 200cc 80%, Adrenaline, AFE BHAF, 5 inch TB Exhaust from MagnaFlow with 7inch black tip, DieselSite Transmission with billet input shaft and Precision Industries Stallion Torque converter, PHP Hydra Chip with PHP and Tony Wildman tuning.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Ok I'm gonna think out loud a little and yall tell me if I'm crazy.

So I'm obviously slipping the TC under a hard load. Back before this build I had problems getting the truck to build much boost. Running down the highway at 70 I'd be seeing 3-5lbs, and heading up a long hill I'd be lucky if it got to 10 at the same speed. Normal moderate accelerations from a stop I couldn't get it over 13-15psi. Kept my shifts all screwed up...they always shifted too quick, which I had narrowed down to be because of the low boost numbers. Anyways, upon teardown I found an exhaust leak, and I knew I had a worn out turbo as well. Well, now I have a new turbo and the leak is fixed, but I'm right back to the same low boost numbers. I have to get way into the throttle before I get boost over 20psi.

Could that TC not functioning properly cause these issues? From a stop, could it be slipping, not allowing the proper load on the engine, therefore not loading the turbo like it needs to? I started looking into the TCC solenoid the other day. What about it? I figure if it was faulty I'd get a code for it.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 03:07 AM
Sponsor

For what it's worth since you are on a budget. Revmax makes a pretty decent upgraded convertor for about $699.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode