fass with a regulated return - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

fass with a regulated return

hey what do you guys set your regulated retun at to keep from having problems with the fass. fass told me to turn my return lower than my fass. just wondering what setups you guys are having luck with.

06 crew cab
06 reg cab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Proud Sponsor

Re: fass with a regulated return

What I did on mine was, adjusted it down until I saw the in cab fuel pressure gauge start to drop and then I think I did a full revolution in the reverse direction.

Adam Brannan
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 PM
PSN Veteran

you will not make any more pressure than what the FASS is capable of producing. Say it comes with a 55 psi spring, you will not be able to run higher than that no matter how tight you set your engine regulator. The idea is to have fuel returning from the motor as well as the FASS, not just one or the other. The problem with the 2 regulators is i beleive it puts a constant "pulse", if you will, in the system. You may never see it in your fuel pressure gauge, especially if its on the return side of the motor.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Proud Sponsor

only reason I have 2 is because I got it on the cheap used a long time ago, and at that point, I thought I could get more fuel pressure.

As for it being bad on the FASS, I am not convinced.

Adam Brannan
Email

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Im not convinced its bad on the FASS either, its just a hunch i have developed but dont have as much hard evidence as id like to prove it.

The reason i doubt this theory is even the factory fuel system has a regulator, so the whole 2 regulator theory isnt solid, its just an idea i had regaurding a fass running in conjuntion with a regulated return with the regulator on the return side of the motor. I have a few reasons behind this if anyone is curious.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Lovin the Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxracer42 View Post
hey what do you guys set your regulated retun at to keep from having problems with the fass. fass told me to turn my return lower than my fass. just wondering what setups you guys are having luck with.
Must.... resist... urge....

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 PM
PSN Local

Aggie I would like to hear your thoughts on the return. I just got my Fass back from being rebuilt.
My 7.3 will run without the Fass running (thank goodness) I can drive it home.
I had about 500 miles and the pump motor was shot, Fass rebuilt it under waranty and I just reinstalled it.
On the pump return do you run it wide open or valve it down?
It's set up to run 67psi all the time, i'm thinking about putting a toogle switch in to run when I pull. Run without one DD. Will that hurt the injectors?
Thanks Joe

99.5 2wd 4door short bed- Stealth, Beans stage II,tymar, ITP and BTS trans.& 6 pos chip.

2001 4x4 Ex cab long bed. 1st place in Diesel stock 09-01-2008
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Attention Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie View Post
you will not make any more pressure than what the FASS is capable of producing. Say it comes with a 55 psi spring, you will not be able to run higher than that no matter how tight you set your engine regulator.
If you run a boost reference on the regulator you can. I use the same 150/180 I had on my old motor with my new one. Regulator is on the factory return hose and boost referenced. It's set at ~22psi at idle....makes close to 100psi at WOT and full boost. Over 30,000 miles so far with it set up this way.

I had it set up very similar on my 6.0 but it's been so long I don't remember what it was set at and what it would reach at full boost.

Spending money I don't have on crap I don't need to impress people I don't know.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
PSN Veteran

How is your FASS regulated though. do you have a check ball valve in line to restrict its return flow, or is it soley on the ball/spring?

What i was meaning by not making more pressure than the FASS will supply, was that if your FASS is regulated at say, 55 psi, with the spring/ball, you will not acheive a higher pressure on the motor by cranking down the regulator there to say 65 psi, as it will just make more fluid bypass at the FASS.

Now if you have a check ball valve in line at the fass in its return to the tank, and you have the flow limited to just a trickle, then its actual pressure regulator is rendered useless and you would make just about as much pressure as you want with the regulator on the motor.

or were you saying you have a regulator inline on the return of your FASS?

We have unfortuneately had a lot of failures on the high pressure FASS's on the fords. The few that have not failed were on trucks with kind of aftermarket regulator on the motor, or with the aftermarket regulator cranked all the way down, or closed, thus allowing the FASS to solely regulate the pressure. I have just kind of felt its something other than just the high pressure killing the FASS's, as we had one of the very first high pressure ones available even before they were made for the fords. It was a 55 psi unit that would actually produce 61-63 psi on a cr dodge back in 05, and it has never skipped a beat. this is why i think theres some kind of slight pulsation occuring on the 7.3s, in particular, that is causing problems. Just a hunch like i said, nothing concrete.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Attention Whore

PM me your email addy and I'll send you a diagram I have saved that Dan drew up for me when he still worked there. Probably easier to show you than try to explain it.

Spending money I don't have on crap I don't need to impress people I don't know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in