How Hot and How Long???? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

How Hot and How Long????

What is max egt temps you want to see on stock heads and how long would you hold her down. I am seeing around 1400 faily quickly on street race tune and have not had any puking so I dont know. Maybe 1400 is not even hot so please advise... Runs good and hard to let go but dont really feel like studding right now ya know...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 AM
all ur OBS r belong to me

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD
Re: How Hot and How Long????

"How Hot and How Long????"

thats what she said

Ford stopped building trucks in 1997
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I always thought it was 1250 for extended periods of time, but IDK for sure thats just what I go by.

2005 F-250
Tuning by-Gearhead Automotive & Innovative
Performance Truck Products

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 AM
PSN Veteran

I can hit 1600 easy on Matt's street race and Eric's Xtreme street. For a quick little run it's nothin, but I wouldn't hold that temp for a extended period of time...

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM
PSN Local

Dont stud it till she blows. Dont fix whats not broken ya know?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonblue52 View Post
Can't say I agree. It'l be just his luck that they blow on a road trip or something and leave you stranded. Do it when you have the money and time.

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Proud Sponsor

well, both sides have merit here.

Yes you can wait till they blow to fix, and yes you can fix it in adavnce before they blow to maybe save yourself some trouble.

BUT in all honesty a blown HG isnt gonna leave you stranded, unless you run it for 10k miles after you think its blown.

Adam Brannan
Email

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to joebob3093

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonblue52 View Post
cant say i agree with that on something like head studs.

{95 F250 Powerstroke XLT} 5 spd, injectors by Farmers Diesel, tunes by tyrant diesel, AFE stage 2 intake, custom intercooler, 3" down pipe to custom 5in stack. EBPV break, custom electric fuel system, IDM mod by mattymx, CCV mod, D60 with F-Superduty springs, diprocol EGT, Boost and Fuel PSI guages.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Diesel Addict

The way I understand, it boils down to heat soak. 1800 degrees for 4 or 5 seconds will likely do little harm compared to 1400 degrees for 30 seconds or even 1250 degrees for 1 minute +. Reason being, a short burst of 1800 degree heat is not enough to saturate an aluminum piston to it's melting point of roughly 1220 degrees.

Imagine a torch and an aluminum can. Say the torch is putting out a flame of 2000 degrees F. If you simply wave that flame over the aluminum can slowly for a few seconds at a time the can does not melt even though aluminum has a melting point far below 2,000 degrees. But hold the flame against the can for an extended period of time and it will soon melt as temp of the can reaches 1220 and beyond.

As for EGT's and HG failure I have no idea. I was running a stock tune with exhaust and intake when mine let go while I was towing about 10,500lbs with EGT's around 900 degrees. However, I suspect that was due to higher than normal cylinder pressures (under load) and the weak factory head bolts rather than a relation to EGT. But I'm no expert.

Hope this helps.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I'll take it, preciate the input. I give her short bursts and let out easy when I see 1400-1600 and it cools quickly so thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode