EGR Delete plunge begun! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

EGR Delete plunge begun!

I bought this truck in June 2004 F250 CC SB 4x4 with 189000 and she ran like a top because I didn't know any better. Realized I had a stiction problem used Archoil AR9100 then realized she was quiet but still ran like crap sometimes. Oil pressure dummy light popping up when slowing down below 30mph, once rolling coal (covered the road) at 10 mph idle in drive, and finally 3 miles of 20mph white smoke road blocking destruction which if I was in the military could be a great smoke screen. I drove the truck after that for two days while I debated but kept RPM's below 2000 as much as possible no WOT or even normal acceleration and only Oil pressure drop nothing else. I was the "9000lb Red Turtle" of MN. Now as of 10-1-2014 I am driving my 1997 Chevy I bought new in Highschool AGAIN! No Turbo=No Fun!

After much deliberation I decided to do a delete. After being on this site and talking to an International mech buddy I began my parts buying extraviganza and started the install yesterday.
Parts Came! 10-8-14
OEM HPOP STC update
EGR Delete with uppipe
OEM Blue spring kit
OEM Oil cooler
OEM Intake gaskets
OEM Turbo oil line update
OEM New turbo drain
8 OEM glowplugs
Edge Insight CS w SCT X4

I flushed the engine, drained and began tear down. You guys were right it is not as easy as I thought it might be. I'm a fairly competent mechanic and am suprised at how slow the process is. Thank Odin for this site! From 1100 to 1850 yesterday I only removed the Left fender flare, Left inner fender, degas, air box, ficm, charge air tubing and alternator. I got the harness unplugged minus ICP(waiting for turbo removal tonight @1930) and all hoses removed.
I felt like I had to accomplish something so I removed the EGR and put the shiney new EGR delete plate on and called it a night.
I'm going to tackle something tonight but I have the boys while my wife is at work so.....maybe not. Monday I should be bolting back together. I hope. I hate working weekends I just want my truck back.

Any input would be helpful, I am like a blank Diesel canvas.
I'll report back. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: EGR Delete plunge begun!

its fairly simple, sinister has an online step by step instructions you can download and print off, it will help immensely. the most annoying part of the delete is the uppipe pipe replacement/realigning the turbo onto the uppipe afterwards. if you have any specific questions feel free to ask ive done this a few times.

Admin of BCCR

2007 f-350 CC/SB Lariat --SOLD--

2006 F-350 CC/SB Harley Davidson

- 205/100s
- Custom twin superduty pump fuel system W/ RR
- BW S366
- 4" exhaust to dual 5" tips
- air raid CAI
- 80k miles
- levelled, 35s
- Bulletproofed
- Gearhead tuning
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Meandog06

Curious why you pulled the inner fender for this job?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandog06 View Post
Curious why you pulled the inner fender for this job?
I was thinking the same thing, but then re-read and saw where he got new GP's as well, so I'm assuming it was pulled to swap those out.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM
PSN Local

You should do studs/hg's at this time so everything is apart once

2007 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab SRW
-4" diamond eye exhaust
-2.5" leveling Kit
-Autometer NV Gauges Boost,Pyro,Tranny Temp,Fuel Pressure
-Blacked out windows
-325/75/R20 Toyo ATs
-HIDS both fog lights and headlights
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 AM
PSN Local

I'm about to start towing a 3 car carrier around I was wondering should I EGR delete or bulletproof it. I also have emission problems to deal with in CA.

04 F350 DRW 6speed.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

If you have to pass emissions, bulletproof it, don't delete it.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 05:20 AM
PSN Local

Thanks for the info 6speedSD. I will make a list from Cyniclmikes list.

04 F350 DRW 6speed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the helpful words. I finished yesterday with much success! First off, inner fender came out for glow plugs. The previous owner messed up both glow plug buses (broken connectors) and I had to replace them. I had one plug on each side (cylinders 2 & 3) completely shear off flush within the head. Had to remove the valve cover on the left side because I had broken the plug up by drilling it out. Found little pieces of plastic so that was good. Right side I broke off slowly and was able to remove the rest with a dental pick as it stayed mostly togather.
EGR cooler looked decent and Oil cooler plugged.
I didn't do head studs at this time because I want to make sure I didn't f up the new gaskets with the cab on; I know it can be done. The most difficult part I found was the up pipe (Y pipe) to turbo connection. I ended up using a ratchet strap around the right up pipe over the turbine side of the turbo to the right side core support. Directly above the headlight is a hole about 1.5" is diameter and that piece is reinforced. After cranking it down I used a large Drift punch .5" tip 14" long and struck the up pipe and it snapped right in. The clamp was another issue, I had to go buy a longer deep well socket 11mm to tighten it up enough to stop the blow by. I also broke two main body clamps because I confused in/lbs with ft/lbs 26 ft lbs not 150. whoops! that part # is now imbedded in my memory for life. W302676 clamp, W302677 lock nut. I learned a lot and had fun even though it took 2.5 weeks because I work so many days, and waiting for parts I broke.
Recap:
EGR delete and cooler delete-Done
Oil cooler and stainless steel HPOP screen-Done
HPOP STC Update- not needed til 2005 models but I used the IPR screen and orings.
New CAC boots from RiffRaff Diesel
Intake Gaskets-Done
Blue Spring update-Done
Cleaned turbo
Updated Turbo oil line and New turbo drain line
Edge Insight CS w/expandable EGT probe and EAS starter kit.
X4 SCT tuner will be used on economy today after work. I am throwing EGR codes like carzy. Which I thought 2004's didn't do.

She runs great! FICM 48v, EOT 158, ECT 152, RPMS at idle flucuated between 760 and 800 before, now 770-778 and she screams on WOT. My 5 year old said "don't ever go that fast again". Yeah right I can't wait to see how the light tune will be. Thanks again guys, I couldn't have done it with out the help of this community!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 05:42 PM
PSN Local

Congrats on finishing the project.

So I'm curious, you said it took you 2.5 weeks because of time etc, which I TOTALLY understand and relate with. How much experience do you have working on these motors?

Also can you provide a ballpark figure cost wise of all of the parts?

Thank you, and again, congrats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode