Bad EGR cooler, and Oil cooler? Possible head gasket? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Bad EGR cooler, and Oil cooler? Possible head gasket?

I have a 2004 with a bad egr and oil cooler right now in the shop for a egr delete, oil cooler, coolant flush, etc. does really loose any coolant just noticed a tiny bit of coolant around the coolant cap, does a bad egr cooler and oil cooler alwas lead to a bad head gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Bad EGR cooler, and Oil cooler? Possible head gasket?

I stopped doing just coolers if egr failed because of come backs. If egr failed just spend the $$ do it once and right, will cost less in the long run

Fixing ford diesels since before they had turbochargers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Trucks only got 90k, just used to check fields it will be Hardley drove more then 8k a year. So you don't think a egr delete, and new oil cooler will do the trick?

2004 Lariet CCSB, Egr delete w/ up pipe, 4inch diamond eye, Blue Spring, Diesel Site coolant filter, 200 stat, Rotella Coolant

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 PM
PSN Veteran

coolers 1/2 labor of head gaskets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise guy View Post
coolers 1/2 labor of head gaskets
I have been quoted roughly $1500 for labor with egr delete and buying the oil cooler from him. How much more an I looking at for gaskets and head stud install?

2004 Lariet CCSB, Egr delete w/ up pipe, 4inch diamond eye, Blue Spring, Diesel Site coolant filter, 200 stat, Rotella Coolant
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 09:23 PM
PSN Veteran

head gaskets are 22.1 hours we charge 86.10 hr that's 1902.81 labor for head gaskets. When doing head gaskets every part installed now is one less thing to replace later. 1500 for ford oil cooler fluids and delete is about right. They are charging 1500 for labor its a rip off oil cooler is 8.6 hrs we normally charge 10hrs labor the extra time 1.4hrs is to clean the turbo and install the up pipe

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
head gaskets are 22.1 hours we charge 86.10 hr that's 1902.81 labor for head gaskets. When doing head gaskets every part installed now is one less thing to replace later. 1500 for ford oil cooler fluids and delete is about right. They are charging 1500 for labor its a rip off oil cooler is 8.6 hrs we normally charge 10hrs labor the extra time 1.4hrs is to clean the turbo and install the up pipe

Yes $1500 was with me buying a oil cooler from them, but my $150 egr delete kit I bought seperate. He is installing a new up pipe for that price. I think it may just be a bad oil cooler my coolant temp is only 185, but when I take the cap off while its hot there is a steam that comes out, I'm sure it's from my EOT too high

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Anyone else got advise? I Don't really want to do the studs and gaskets at the moment, it will be easily drove.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
So if I'm at 10hrs of labor for egr delete, and oil cooler, you think I could get gaskets and studs done for another 12 hours so roughly another $1700 time you buy studs for $400-450

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode