Wrong Compressor Wheel in Turbo?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wrong Compressor Wheel in Turbo??

A few weeks ago, had my truck in Ford shop getting studded, H.G., Y-Pipes, R.R. Fuel system, BPD water pump and 7.3 fan clutch installed.
As I was waiting for day to take to shop, I got to digging around and found my turbo inlet duct has disintegrated at the turbo and needed replacing and that comp. wheel was not in good shape.
I called Charlie at KC and we talked about which turbo I had and a wheel was sent. I had had the turbo replaced 3.5 years ago when a seal went bad, was under warranty so I thought that was a alright deal. In looking at the turbo part # and doing some searches on-line it looked to be an 05-07 turbo according to part numbers.

When tech did the parts install, he noted on the invoice that the wheel looked smaller than the stock on taken out, but he installed it anyway!!
Well, I'd been having issues with a couple tunes being very boggey off the bottom and one of them shooting egts right up to 1400 before I'd let off for fear of hurting my pistons. After a couple conversations, that may be normal with some of these full fuel tunes.
I had the turbo inlet off again this week, rerouting the CCV hose to my framerail and looked at the wheel again, looks like I need to address this,
talked to Charlie again, may just go with a Stage 1.5 if I have to pull the turbo anyway, is doesn't really run bad, is laggey from a stop but my boost psi is good and mid-range and top end is fine.

Sorry this is long-winded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comp. Wheel 2 (1).jpg (6.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Comp. Wheel 2 (2).jpg (7.4 KB, 41 views)

04.5 F-350 KR. ARP studs, Sinister Wrapped Y-Pipes and R.R. Fuel System,Atlas40 FICM, DC Power 190Alternator,BPD remote oil cooler&updates,BPD Water Pump/7.3 Fan Clutch, EGR Cooler delete,DieselSite Coolant Filter, AEM Brute Force HD intake, 4" Flow-Master,2.5" Level Kit/33" Toyo AT II's, D.D. Solenoid Mod, CCV Delete. SCT X4. KC Stage 1.5 Turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage
Re: Wrong Compressor Wheel in Turbo??

Getting ready to order than KC 1.5 myself.

But, not sure what your actual question was....

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 03:27 AM
PSN Local

Sending out billet wheels can be tricky... there are two sizes for our stock turbos

2003-2004 59mm comp wheel
2005-2007 56mm comp wheel

With how often these trucks get the turbos swapped, rebuilt, and new turbos stuck in there it can be hard to be 100% sure unless you physically measure the wheel. Comp covers also get swapped sometimes so the part number on the center section are not 100% reliable.

From the pics it definitely looks like the wrong size. Being too small like that would cause the turbo to run pretty inefficiently, probably spooling problems and higher than normal egts. Although it should do OK at WOT.

I would make sure that this KC Turbo guy gets you taken care of. Either send out a new wheel ASAP or give you some sort of discount on the upgrade.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Was waiting to hear from you Charlie, as I knew I would. Not bashing, just putting out a heads up if other guys are having someone tear into their ride and put parts in.
I'm away from my ride for a week at a time so I don't want to burn up several of my days off tearing into my engine, wasting time on the learning curve, and I don't have a garage, so I'll pay someone to install parts. I still do some wrenching, but there's only so much I want to do in my gravel driveway.
Will be talking to you Monday about that 1.5.

04.5 F-350 KR. ARP studs, Sinister Wrapped Y-Pipes and R.R. Fuel System,Atlas40 FICM, DC Power 190Alternator,BPD remote oil cooler&updates,BPD Water Pump/7.3 Fan Clutch, EGR Cooler delete,DieselSite Coolant Filter, AEM Brute Force HD intake, 4" Flow-Master,2.5" Level Kit/33" Toyo AT II's, D.D. Solenoid Mod, CCV Delete. SCT X4. KC Stage 1.5 Turbo.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
Getting ready to order than KC 1.5 myself.

But, not sure what your actual question was....
, said it was long winded didn't I ??
Just wanting to know what anyone thought about the gap in the comp wheel and inducer.

You knew that!!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Charlie....if you revisit these old posts....

Who has had hands on tuning with your 1.5? I have a couple,different tuners I want to try once this truck is back together, but curious as to which ones have had a chance to live tune with that particular turbo.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 01:25 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
Charlie....if you revisit these old posts....

Who has had hands on tuning with your 1.5? I have a couple,different tuners I want to try once this truck is back together, but curious as to which ones have had a chance to live tune with that particular turbo.
Tuning for the stage 1.5 is fairly simple... basically you should be able to use any tuner out there and most of my customers are happy with any tunes they have tried.

It is important to mention/remind them that the KC stage 1.5 uses a 13 blade turbine and is not just an upgraded pmax.

For tuning I think that there are so many different options out there and everyone enjoys different types of tunes. A lot depends on what you are looking for specifically.

Hit me up in an email and we can discuss more what you are looking for in a tune.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode