Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

05 led dash upgrade

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 ·
So I've heard different things and can't decide if its worth it or not. I've seen the led bulbs that some say they use but idk how they lock in or if its wrong bulb. Any pics or info would be helpful thanks.

#2 ·
I've been wanting to do this for a while to. I've also wanted to do my door switches to. I know on the switches you have to solder the bulb. But on the dash cluster there are plug and play bulbs like t5,t4,t3 bulbs that usually fit in other dash clusters.

#4 ·
What color did you do?

#5 ·
I used white since the gauge face is what determines the color. What I did wrong was select the wrong angle lamp. Still those little dash bulb housings are a PITA. I was just tired of trying to make it all work. Went back to stock.

#6 ·
I wanted to do white to along with the door switches. What size bulb was the gauge face? T4? I know the door switches have to be soldered .ive done a few on my own. I'm no to great on soldering lol.

#8 ·
74 is the number? Or site? And you said they don't look good?

#9 ·
Yes...74 led ...they sell them with the holders. I was hoping the holders and LEDs would work great. Seems as the projection angle was too small. I think I might have gotten the wrong ones. They worked once installed but it was the was the light projected thru the gauge face. It made more of a circle versus a glowing bulb. I think the LEDs might even be too low of a power draw since it seemed to give a battery light even when there were no other issues with the electrical system. It was all a PITA.

#10 ·
You can't use the stock holder ? It won't fit on the new led? You don't think it could of been the brand? I try and light the bulb up before I install and use a battery to light it up.

I think a 74 is the same as a t5. That's what it's showing on the internet.

#11 ·
I do recall swapping around the different holders. I just wanted to keep it easy so I got the LEDs with the holders. The led holders fit it was just the pattern. After pulling out the dash cluster 5-6 times trying to get lights installed I was too frustrated.

You might have better luck than me. For me it was just a pain and not worth it.

#12 ·
I have a light out on my speedo on the dash.
Is it hard to just put in new light bulbs ?

#13 ·
It's the way the holders fit the dash panel. There are two electrical contact points and they need to make contact. I recall replacing the bulbs and the small copper contact legs pulled out with the old bulb. I got pretty good at pulling the dash cluster out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.