SCT X4 reviews? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

SCT X4 reviews?

Anyone out there running the SCT X4? I am looking for unbiased opinions on it. I have only heard good things about it and am wondering if the canned tunes are the same or improved compared to the SF3 and if anyone has first hand experiance with them? Looking for all input good, bad, and everything else. Thanks in advance for any and all info from everyone.

2003 F250 6.0, 4" on Pro Comp 35's, Twin Grand rock 6" mitre cuts set to 2" above cab, Dyno Mat cab, SCT X4, Blue spring, CCV mod, Delta tool box. And it is NEVER CLEAN

I dont walk this way because of the wounds I have suffered in the line of duty, but because my balls are just that big!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

Re: SCT X4 reviews?

I'm running an X4 with a canned street tune. I have no idea if it's better than the SF3 tunes. Considering that the tunes are independent of the device, I'd bet they're the same. It's a nice tuner. I'd pay the $399 for it over $379 for the SF3. The screen and features are better. However if I had a SF3 that was working fine, I wouldn't switch over to it as you're not really gaining that much to make it worth the hassle. JMO and hope it helps.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I dont have anything done in regards to the tunning on my truck, Exhaust, Intake and new injectors and thats about it. I know I am probably the only guy here who has left it pretty much stock but those times are changing now that the truck is not the only means of mobility for me. I do plan on getting down to Bill from powerstrokehelp here in the next year to have him truly bullet proof the truck, studs, ringed heads, delete, coolant bypas, regulated return, the whole nine yards so to speak. I am looking at tunners now that will give me a bit more punch than what I have at the moment without turnning the truck into a basket case. IE the edge tunners killing tranys and what not. Thank you for the info it is in line with everything I have heard so far about it and honestly I dont think SCT has any upset customers out there. Reliable product from a highly regarded company.

2003 F250 6.0, 4" on Pro Comp 35's, Twin Grand rock 6" mitre cuts set to 2" above cab, Dyno Mat cab, SCT X4, Blue spring, CCV mod, Delta tool box. And it is NEVER CLEAN

I dont walk this way because of the wounds I have suffered in the line of duty, but because my balls are just that big!

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 02:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03fathead6.0 View Post
Anyone out there running the SCT X4? I am looking for unbiased opinions on it. I have only heard good things about it and am wondering if the canned tunes are the same or improved compared to the SF3 and if anyone has first hand experiance with them? Looking for all input good, bad, and everything else. Thanks in advance for any and all info from everyone.

I think generally if you have an older device sf3 or a newer device x4, and update them both through your computer the caned tunes power level shouldn't differ much. X4s are nice and compact, have an LCD screen for watching pids and looking at/clearing dtcs.

2006 f250 4x4 6in lift 37x13.5 tires
A few engine parts here and there

Back Road Performance tuned
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 PM
PSN Veteran

X4 rocks......street tune is garbage though. Guys post or comment negatively on the street tune. Live the Tow 65 tune for pulling new RV trailers across the western mountains. I'm stock with studs.

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 AM
PSN Newb

I'm sending my X4 back to SCT for the second time, I got it last month, drove it with the canned tunes, came back from work a week later with the Looney and a Tow tune from Vivian, updated the X4 and loaded the custom tunes. It would not recognize the vehicle after that, spent a day on the phone w/ SCT trying to sort it out, NO LUCK, it would recognize a 2013 6.7 and a 2015 F-150, but not mine. I also bought Street King and a Tow tune from Drew at BRP, haven't got to try any of them.
Returned the X4, 3 weeks later it's back, same story, they said they loaded tunes onto an 04 PCM with it, mine is a late 04. Today I had a guy plug an $800 diagnostic tool in and go through the PCM, no problem, and I paid Ford dealer $104 for a PCM reflash, it still wouldn't read my PCM.

When I get it back, It's FOR SALE!! Unmarried, 5 Unlocks.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 PM
PSN Newb

Same boat as Mt here. Got the x4 and tuned truck, ran great on canned tunes, went to down load customs tunes, didn't load properly and now tuner will not turn on at all. Calling sct this weekend!!

05 F250, 6Spd, 4" turbo back Magnaflow Duals, No cat. No muffler, Egr delete, Intake, SCT X4
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:43 AM
PSN Newb

bronco, that's very interesting, for the last month I've felt like the only guy on the planet that's had problems with an SCT Tuner, HUH!!
At least that's the way it sounded from SCT, well, they have mine back a second time and I bit it and ordered a new one, the other may tune a PCM as they claimed it did, but it won't tune mine, now, I may have a corrupt custom tune causing it, I didn't even try the canned tunes the second time because I told myself if it won't load the custom tunes, I don't want it, canned tunes aren't great, the tows felt good the little I ran them with a big load, but the perf. tunes were way under the turbo and blew a cloud of coal, not what I want.
I didn't buy it for canned tunes. I've had my PCM reflashed and will try the canned tunes first then Drew's Street King, if it happens again, I'll be p!ssed and done with the X4.

04.5 F-350 KR. ARP studs, Sinister Wrapped Y-Pipes and R.R. Fuel System,Atlas40 FICM, DC Power 190Alternator,BPD remote oil cooler&updates,BPD Water Pump/7.3 Fan Clutch, EGR Cooler delete,DieselSite Coolant Filter, AEM Brute Force HD intake, 4" Flow-Master,2.5" Level Kit/33" Toyo AT II's, D.D. Solenoid Mod, CCV Delete. SCT X4. KC Stage 1.5 Turbo.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 03:02 AM
PSN Newb

Sent X4 back a second time last week and ordered another X4, got my tunes rewrote for new tuner, got new X4 and updated it right away per Vivian, didn't load any custom tunes, would not recognize my vehicle again.
WTH, that's 2 X4's bit the dust after updating them, like I posted before, the first X4 I had worked fine before updating it, per SCT's directions.
Man, this is depressing!!

04.5 F-350 KR. ARP studs, Sinister Wrapped Y-Pipes and R.R. Fuel System,Atlas40 FICM, DC Power 190Alternator,BPD remote oil cooler&updates,BPD Water Pump/7.3 Fan Clutch, EGR Cooler delete,DieselSite Coolant Filter, AEM Brute Force HD intake, 4" Flow-Master,2.5" Level Kit/33" Toyo AT II's, D.D. Solenoid Mod, CCV Delete. SCT X4. KC Stage 1.5 Turbo.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 PM
PSN Newb

As of this morning, after contacting SCT about revising an update back to an older version, no can do, they are saying they are having issues with 03-04 tuning/revisions.
Well, I have 2 X4's build date 6/25/15 and 6/26/14 that don't work, purchased the first one a little more than a month ago, second one was from same shop, same batch.
They say they are working on it, if you have an 03-04 6.0 and are thinking to buy, you may want to wait, or stay away from the June built units. Or even better, buy one and don't do any updates to it and see if it works before and after updating. I would love to know.
Boy this sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode