PHP ficm tuning.. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

PHP ficm tuning..

after ditching my superchip tuner.. { pos }.. I started researching the ficm tuning .. I read everything I could on the products available to tune the ficm ..
PHP won out for several reasons.. 4 options for ficm tuning.. the posted & available research results that they made openly available .. the straight forward direction based on your trucks mods. or lack of .. plus their reputation was very respected..

I read many post on the ficm tuning , nearly all related to stacking the ficm tuning on with other regular tuners .. I found near to nothing based on a semi stock truck , witn the basic exhaust , air intake , & egr delete mods.. so hopefully this will help some folks.. & clear up the results from a truck that is running no other tuning with the ficm tuning..

first off the packaging on the PHP ficm tuner was great.. the instructions were simple , non- confusing & I recommend that even the pro.'s read the instruction / programming instruction sheet that comes with the tuner..

on the 05 up trucks pull out relay 304 from your under the hood relay box.. the instruction will locate this relay for you by its position in the box.. its very important to pull this relay..

after looking thru all the options on the tuner first , I then went to programming.. I chose the atlas40 over the economy , as they both yield better mpg , but with varying performance levels.. I was very happy with the boost in power I got from the atlas 40 setting.. throttle response was greatly improved all thru the power range.. ran smooth & strong ..

I have no means to monitor all the stuff many guys do.. but according to PHP , these things aren't an issue with a truck not using any other type tuning.. so all I can speak on is the drivability & function .. which is the very thing I could not locate in my research of ficm tuning results.. I will be adding another tuner which will live on the economy stting & it has the capability to monitor , so I will update on this accordingly.. from right now I can see no reason TO NOT RECOMEND the PHP ficm tuner.. sending your ficm in to be reset may be an option for some, but for the price I would rather control these things with some choices on my own..

other ficm tuners come with one setting only designed from what I read to fit your trucks modification level..or what you want .. & theres nothing wrong with that, but again.. we are back to owner choices .. I would rather control these things & be done with it all .. if I want to change the tuning level later I can.. a simple concept & a no brainer for my needs.. so I will update on any mileage increases & drivability again soon & later on with monitored readings.. I hope this helps some of the guys who don't run other tuning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Re: PHP ficm tuning..

how long from purchase to doorstep ?

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

3 days .. super fast imo .. it is an upgrade I cant see anyone regretting.. especially on a truck that's mostly stock .. I cant speak from a standpoint on using this in conjunction with another tuner.. which is why I posted on it.. I could find no direct posts with this product being the only tuning used.. & every post I found on using it with other standard type tuners turned into a discussion on monitor readings when using it with a regular tuner .. which is a good thing to consider , but totally unrelated to what I needed to know.. in reality there are some of us not running the standard type tuners.. which I will probably end up using an edge tuner for its economy setting & monitor capabilities ..

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Administrator

just FYI the edge tuner CS/CTS is way more than their monitor
well worth just buying the insight ( monitor only CS /CTS from edge and a SCT with a ECO tune /Tow tune/and for you a mild or less tune

it would be about the same money and a much better return on your investment IMHO

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:15 PM
PSN Veteran

I have an SCT tuner with the PHP FICM tuner and it works. A bit smokey on the bottom end.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thank you Zmann .. why the sct & not an edge tuner ?? don't both have an eco tune..

lenzhotrod , smokey I can handle ..
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:04 AM
JGman141

Edge tuners will eat you transmission

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Administrator

thats been the buzz for years and the reason i ditched my edge tuner

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM
PSN Newb

I read over your original post in it's entirety but I am not sure I am understanding your complaint. Is there something I can help you with on it?

Comments or opinions expressed by me do not necessarily represent the views of PHP, its management, nor its employees. PHP is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by me.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Administrator

i don't see the OP as complaining ?
His intent as I read it was to give PHP ordering and FICM tuning feedback for those who do not run any other tuning

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode