Review of Back Roads Performance Tuning - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Review of Back Roads Performance Tuning

Ive heard a lot of talk about Drew at BRP and decided to try his tuning after he sent a customer my way for a VDP aluminum degas bottle.

After discussing what I was looking for, he told me he was going to send me a new tune he'd been working on, called the TorquePlus tune. Ive got some miles on this tune and have to say that I'm impressed. I had very specific requests and all where fulfilled, from the open vanes at idle to my precise shift points. My truck is a 2006 F250 ECLB 4x4 on 35's with stock injectors, intake, exhaust, Atlas 80 FICM tune 58V FICM, 3.73's, Vision Diesel Performance Stage 2 turbo (billet 64.7mm on 10 blade turbine), etc.

The tune is very, VERY responsive. The throttle is crisp. Its perfect for daily driving. The shifts are quick and firm, not slow and sluggish. The truck gets through the gears in a safe for your trans manner, while not giving you whiplash at every shift. Around town I could effortlessly pull away from traffic at stop lights with VERY little, to no smoke. The accelerator requires very little input to make the truck move and Ive actually found myself having to let out due to the truck just getting up and going quicker than what I'm used to. It really surprised me how responsive this tune is and how much lighter the truck feels under acceleration.

The mid and top end are equally impressive. The tune is ready to run all the way throughout the powerband and pulls very hard up top without ever breaking 1400* on a 100mph run with an ambient air temp of ~90*. The tune locks up and pulls extremely hard on top. It really utilizes the torque to make the big end an exhilarating experience . It's a fast tune that just keeps pulling.

This tune runs cooler than any other tune I have. I am consistently seeing temps while cruising @ 55-65mph at 630-685* with ambient air temps between 88-92*. Cruising at 75-85mph on the highway I was seeing ~750*.

Smoke is minimal expect when the throttle is stabbed to the floor at very low speeds or from a dead stop and then I see the normal "black cloud". It very quickly clears up @ WOT. Keep in mind that I'm running the Atlas 80 FICM tune. I can very easily drive this truck around keeping up with and even accelerating faster than traffic completely smoke free.

As far as Drew's customer service, I'd put him on par with Vivian at Quick Tricks. Top shelf, no doubt. He listened to everything I had to say and created a tune that incorporated everything I asked for. I asked for my shift points to be pushed out in a very specific way and he nailed it.

I know fuel mileage is always a concern, this tune has that as well. I'm not posting numbers, though I have hand calculated the best around town numbers I've ever seen. Two fill ups and both times the hand calculations were great. Highway mileage is very good too. Its running about the same as my other highest econ tunes (PHP 140X and Quick Tricks Looney Wild Race). The in town fuel mileage is partially due to the shift points. By keeping my truck between 1700-2100rpm, I get the best mileage around tow and on the 2 lane roads I commonly travel. This keeps the truck ready to climb a grade without having to dig its way out from under the turbo and wasting fuel and creating excess heat. This tune combines excellent drivability with banner fuel economy.

For me, its been very hard to get the tuners to push my shifts out to where I want them. Most tuners live where its pretty flat and I live in the hills and valleys of the Appalachian foothills. There is very little "flat" ground around here. When I'm running on a 2 lane road at 50-55mph in traffic and hit a long steep grade with traffic ahead slowing to around 45mph, that puts me trying to move an 8k truck back up to speed at 1300rpm in 6th gear with the TC locked. This usually results in a cloud of black and stupid excessive temps, or me hitting tow/haul and praying it down shifts. Drew listened to exactly what I asked for and nailed it. My shift points were exactly where I asked (I mean exactly) and as soon as the throttle is released the TC unlocks. He never rushed me while we discussed the tuning and was always eager to hear my thoughts.

Overall, I think this is my new DD tune. The drivability is exceptional while keeping temps well within' check and offering outstanding fuel economy. I'm hoping to try some more of his tunes and add those reviews to this thread as well. Drew is a great tuner and I definitely recommend anyone with a 6.0 looking for an excellent DD tune that makes great top end power to give him a call, text or email.

I was actually so impressed with Drew that I've decided to send him our Vision Diesel Performance turbo line to test and live tune on his trucks. I'll be shipping out a VDP S2 (64.7mm) this week for him to begin working with. After that, we'll get him our S3 (68mm) and our S4 (71mm). That means that when you buy a VDP turbo, you'll be able to call Drew at Back Roads Performance for a tune built specifically for the turbo you purchased, by someone who has Daily Driven and live tuned that turbo. Great tuning and EXCELLENT customer service. Bottom line, I recommend his tuning to anyone.

As always, I'm glad to answer questions that the members might have. :thumb:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Good ol boy

Re: Review of Back Roads Performance Tuning

Glad to hear you went out of your way to post this, if you are a member on PSA(which I think this is your same name on that site) I posted a very positive review of how I was treated by Drew and how his tunes performed for me, I would have to say everything that you have said is spot on. I was shot down by alot of the members over there for simply trying to get a guys name out there because I'm always curious as to how different tuners file will perform on my truck. Drew's file blew them all away, I couldn't have said anything you said any better and I'm glad you liked what you got. BRP All the way! I've used his tunes since day one and I keep in touch with him pretty regularly, he's a stand up dude and I will go out of my way to get his name out there.

Studded and Deleted
5 inch axle dump
Back Road Performance Tuned
Barder Stage 2
58v IDP Ficm tune
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 f350 View Post
Glad to hear you went out of your way to post this, if you are a member on PSA(which I think this is your same name on that site) I posted a very positive review of how I was treated by Drew and how his tunes performed for me, I would have to say everything that you have said is spot on. I was shot down by alot of the members over there for simply trying to get a guys name out there because I'm always curious as to how different tuners file will perform on my truck. Drew's file blew them all away, I couldn't have said anything you said any better and I'm glad you liked what you got. BRP All the way! I've used his tunes since day one and I keep in touch with him pretty regularly, he's a stand up dude and I will go out of my way to get his name out there.

Drew is a good dude. I'm actually a vender at the ORG and PSA. I posted this review at the ORG as well, but not PSA. Kinda frowned upon to post reviews as a vender over there. I understand why, but when Drew gets our turbo line, I'll be posting heavily about his tuning progress at PSA.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Good ol boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilbur516 View Post
Drew is a good dude. I'm actually a vender at the ORG and PSA. I posted this review at the ORG as well, but not PSA. Kinda frowned upon to post reviews as a vender over there. I understand why, but when Drew gets our turbo line, I'll be posting heavily about his tuning progress at PSA.
Frowned upon to post a review in general apparently... But yea glad you had a good experience with him. Seems everybody I've referred to him has had good and positive feedback.

Studded and Deleted
5 inch axle dump
Back Road Performance Tuned
Barder Stage 2
58v IDP Ficm tune
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 05:29 PM
PSN Local

In the original post, you stated a stock intake exhaust etc... I was wondering do you have your heads studded as well? I was assuming yes due to the Turbo modification, however I didnt want to assume anything. I am thinking of getting a good tune for daily driving with more punch than what I have now. Thank you very much for the post it has been extremely helpfull

2003 F250 6.0, 4" on Pro Comp 35's, Twin Grand rock 6" mitre cuts set to 2" above cab, Dyno Mat cab, SCT X4, Blue spring, CCV mod, Delta tool box. And it is NEVER CLEAN

I dont walk this way because of the wounds I have suffered in the line of duty, but because my balls are just that big!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 02:52 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

I tell you I keep hearing more and more good from people about Drew's tunes. I'm tearing mine down in a couple mths for a list of goodies...I think that'll be the perfect time to give his tunes a try.

Thanks for the write up.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 03:32 AM
Swamp trash...

Said it once and I will say it again... Dude knows how to tune!!

Chris. 06 LBCC XL 44

Studded and deleted
Oringed heads
S2 turbo
190/30 injectors
ported intake
amsoil bypass
PHP gryphon
SCT X3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode