Need a little guidance - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Need a little guidance

Hello. I have a 2004 6.0 that is bone stock with 182xxx. I've noticed coolant missing from the degas bottle so I hooked up a IDS (I work at a ford dealer but don't know much about diesels really) and found my EOT and ECT were 45 apart. I've been reading around on this forum and believe I have a clogged oil cooler. I haven't noticed coolant coming from the degas bottle cap and have noticed no external leaks. I've got about $5000 to play with here and I was planning on doing the egr delete and oil cooler soon but I was just wondering if I should go ahead and do studs and gaskets while I'm that far into the engine? I'm sorry for the long first post just wanted to try to cover everything. Thanks ahead of time for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Need a little guidance

pull it fix it right
5k budget+ employee discount= well built 6.0

Fixing ford diesels since before they had turbochargers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I've seen on here that I should use oem gaskets and since I have a shady parts guy at work that doesn't really search for stuff is there somewhere I can get those without getting bolts? Because he says I can only get the gaskets with bolts which I'm sure is a bunch of bull

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 AM
Good ol boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman0460 View Post
I've seen on here that I should use oem gaskets and since I have a shady parts guy at work that doesn't really search for stuff is there somewhere I can get those without getting bolts? Because he says I can only get the gaskets with bolts which I'm sure is a bunch of bull
If you buy the gaskets from a dealership they will come with TTY bolts, which you won't use so it won't matter just trash them. You can look on different website alot of places sell OEM gaskets just double check before you buy that they are truly OEM, the knock offs will run alot cheaper. Most of the ford gaskets I've seen are around 140-160 a side.

Studded and Deleted
5 inch axle dump
Back Road Performance Tuned
Barder Stage 2
58v IDP Ficm tune
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Has anyone bought anything from xtreme diesel performance? Is their customer service decent? The reason I ask is because I'm looking at ordering a bunch of stuff from them and don't want a headache.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Good ol boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman0460 View Post
Has anyone bought anything from xtreme diesel performance? Is their customer service decent? The reason I ask is because I'm looking at ordering a bunch of stuff from them and don't want a headache.
I've personally never had an issue with them but that being said Ive only bought one item thru them, a fuel tank sump...they shipped it to me fairly quick tho so I don't have any problem buying anything from them.

Studded and Deleted
5 inch axle dump
Back Road Performance Tuned
Barder Stage 2
58v IDP Ficm tune
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM
JGman141

I've bought a lot through them and haven't had an issue yet

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it. I will be ordering stuff on Monday for my truck. First thing is tires ��
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:04 PM
JTL
PSN Newb

Hello I am new to posting on this forum but have learned other tips from the many folks that have posted here. In regards to the Coolant, EGR, Oil Cooler issues you've mentioned, my 16 yr. son and I just completed a FULL IPR mod (Gen 3 EGR Delete, Remote Oil Cooler, Remote Coolant Filtration) of my 2005 6L F250. I too had the same issues with the degas bottle and no visual leaks in the system and was very worried about clogged EGR or oil cooler! When we tore down the original system I was very surprised (193,000 miles on my rig) that the EGR cooler almost looked new to the naked eye. Don't know if the oil cooler was beginning to fail but it too looked okay. Proceeded forward with the full IPR install and all systems checked out with no issues. This was a very expensive mod for parts only ($2600+) and it does require some very specific tools in order to facilitate a smooth install; however. I am very pleased with the high quality system that we have installed. There were a few small fabrication mods needed to accommodate this detailed system, but it looks very nice and so far is performing nicely. I pull heavy trailers with my truck and am hoping that doing the EGR delete and remote cooler system will make a difference.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:17 AM
PSN Newb

I am new to the game as well but have ordered several items from XDP and they have been great. Rapid order processing and not sure if I have been lucky and they were running free shipping specials or what but I never seem to pay shipping. Ordered a water pump on Labor Day and it was at the front door on Thursday, free.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode